Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-02-21 15:56:13

Bimps

Re: School.

N1KF wrote:

words

cant know what school is like if you dont experience it, therefore your POV is null and void

#52 2017-02-21 17:41:18

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Bimps wrote:
N1KF wrote:

words

cant know what school is like if you dont experience it, therefore your POV is null and void

Nor can I complain about starving to death in the middle of the desert, but I think I have enough understanding of what it's like to make at least some sort of judgment on it. Even if my judgment is wrong, somebody can just tell me so.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#53 2017-02-21 17:52:41

Raphe9000

American schools at least are in dire need of a total revamp, but school is 100% necessary.

#54 2017-03-08 06:40:13

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Prodigy wrote:

Without school we would just be dull. We could try to teach ourselves but we need more experienced people to do that for us.

What if teachers aren't the best way of achieving this goal? What about books, parents, or the Internet?

In this topic, I don't think anybody's really brought up the idea of simply reducing school the amount of school time/days. There must be some reasonable area between five-days-a-week schooling and absolutely no schooling.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#55 2017-03-08 21:27:05

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

School is 100% necessary. Personally, I also think the amount of time we spend in school is fine as it is. However, what I do disagree with is exactly what they teach us in school.

I'm not too sure about schools outside of England, but for me most of what I have to learn for my GCSE's seems really trivial. Outside of school, most of what we learn has no use. Maths is a main topic of "when are we ever going to use this?". The answer to that is you most likely are not, but some people who use maths in their career may do. This kind of stuff isn't as bad however there are some things in the higher maths GCSE that was only invented just to be a higher tier of difficulty in a maths examination, which, in my opinion, is completely pointless. And with other subjects, such as science, history and geography, whilst it is beneficial to learn about how everything works and functions, in most cases it will have no benefit to us for the rest of our lives. Most of it just seems like thing you would get extra points for in quiz or just seem smart to your friends. Just trivial.

Of course there are some things that we learn here and there that will benefit us such as grammar, health benefits and problems, that sort of thing. But in my opinion we need to be learning more about the real world and how it works, especially later on in high school. Of course some could argue that school gives you qualifications but some of these qualifications seem kinda pointless and also seem invented just for the sake of having qualifications. For example, get an A in history. Okay, great, you have a history qualification, you know your history. But do you really? You just were able to excel and take in information about a certain topic for a certain part of the world during a period of time. It doesn't exactly seem practical.

In my opinion, students should have more freedom and choices over what topics they study as early as high school, this includes maths and English being optional. Of course, employers require you to have a basic understanding of maths and English, which is why i'd suggest that all students take a basic understanding test at an early point during high school. This would be for all the basic subjects where there are no grades, just simply a pass or a fail. If you pass then great, you get a basic level qualification in that subject which would be enough for employers. If you fail, then you get the choice to retake it as many times as you would like until you pass or give up. And you can retake it for every subject, not just the core ones. Once the basic tests are over, that's when you get to choose to go in depth to certain subjects where there is a grading system. You can even study for basic level qualifications and the more in depth ones at the same time if you want to, it is your choice what you get out of your education.

Another thing I think there should be more of is real world lessons that you aren't examined on. This can include things such as mortgages, tax, finding employment, seeking health care, avoiding scams, what to do in states of emergency, how to effectively debate with people and campaign for change, how the voting system works, how to interact with over people confidently on a civil bases, how to avoid debt and many many more topics that will be beneficial for your life in the real world that are never explored in detail during school. And you wont do exams on your knowledge of this stuff, it would just be helpful knowledge that you can use to take yourself further in life. Sometimes we do learn things about some of these topics, but they usually only last one lesson. Schools shouldn't expect everyone to know and memorise this stuff in just 1 hour, especially when these are the kinds of things we will use our whole life and not just for getting our first job, where we get more qualifications to get a better job. School seems to focus around getting a job, but this assumes that by getting a good job you will automatically be happy and know everything you need to know. Well there is no point in earning money if you don't know how to use it efficiently without ending up in debt.

My problem with school is that it spends too much time trying to give us qualifications and not enough time educating us. Most education systems around the globe are like this, that's even if the country has an education system. So in conclusion, the very fact that we do have the luxury of even having schools in the first place is beneficial and needed. But the system is far from perfect and does not do a good enough job. I strongly believe that society as a whole is stunted by how schools prioritise teaching us the wrong things. But then again, perhaps the system was designed with that purpose...?

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by: (3)

#56 2017-03-08 22:37:19, last edited by Sensei1 (2017-03-09 10:44:43)

Sensei1

I think school is pretty cool. It doesn't do that general education thing perfectly, but school is a must for creating social connections.

One of the problems schools have is that, even though it's all about learning, they very rarely teach us how to learn stuff. Even such a basic thing as taking breaks is something I've only heard teachers say few times during my 12 years of school. My school has never ever talked about memory techniques, studying methods, motivation, or other ways of learning than reading books or doing exercises. I've learned stuff that I'm interested in at school, but I've forgotten about the things I wasn't interested in (Even though I got good grades on those subjects too).

School is cool though!

Wooted by:

#57 2017-04-07 17:22:25

Anatoly

We Germans received our total grades.

Maths 1 /no wonder/  )best grade(
German, Latin 4 /no wonder/ )was always bad in languages(

Other grades are middled.

Physical education 1 of course.

6 is worsest grade

#58 2017-04-07 18:40:08

Bimps

AnatolyEE wrote:

6 is worsest grade

give an example of your average math problem

#59 2017-04-07 18:44:00, last edited by N1KF (2017-04-07 18:44:34)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Bimps wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:

6 is worsest grade

give an example of your average math problem

To find his average we'd need to add the difficulty of all of his maths problems, then divide it by the number of maths problems he has. That will take a while to do!

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#60 2017-04-10 10:46:46

Anatoly

Problems? No I am good at maths!!

#61 2017-04-10 15:25:53

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

AnatolyEE wrote:

Problems? No I am good at maths!!

you may be good at maths but cosine of 60 degrees wont save your **** from getting beaten by school bullies, will it?
unless you dont see it as a problem, that is

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

#62 2017-04-10 15:46:31

Anatoly

we learn in algebra now things 2x+3; calculate for x = 1, 5, 10, etc. Also we started with 2x + 3 = 7; what's x?, but nothing hard...

#63 2017-04-10 17:34:37

Pingohits
Banned

AnatolyEE wrote:

we learn in algebra now things 2x+3; calculate for x = 1, 5, 10, etc. Also we started with 2x + 3 = 7; what's x?, but nothing hard...

does your school learn math backwards, because a year ago you posted a problem in a homework help topic that required a system of two equations

Nevertheless, this is much more advanced than what you're learning "now"

791mAP8.png

Wooted by:

#64 2017-04-10 17:42:08

Anatoly

Pingohits wrote:
AnatolyEE wrote:

does your school learn math backwards, because a year ago you posted a problem in a homework help topic that required a system of two equations

Nevertheless, this is much more advanced than what you're learning "now"

What we Learn at school is lots easier then what I am in Power to do //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#65 2017-08-20 15:16:14

Nebula

gravedug this topic because the school is gonna come to us back again soon

Nebula1503238574673981

Board footer