Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-23 20:09:37, last edited by Kaleb (2017-01-24 05:12:06)

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

High Concept Short Story by KALEB

Hello my name is Darrell Jones, I am or was a scientist at the local university of shiku. I developed new technologies and taught students how to develop their own technologies. But now I’m stuck in a bed and all I can think of is how I got here.
        Over the years I have developed three patented products of my own and have had students graduate my classes for over two decades now. Recently one of my students that graduated has made a breakthrough in technology claiming he has created immortality! At first I was really happy then I started running tests on rat DNA and running all possible test to see how he did it and how it came to be. I worked so hard for so long, it’s been nearly a year by now trying to figure this immortality thing out and I finally got it. Well theoretically if one were to become immortal it is not as simplistic as a process you probably think. You would have to train your mind for five or six months per say because the brain cells could develop a sort of cancer if you didn't train it for a proper amount of time. This is just the beginning! I wanted to learn more about this so I caught some more rats from my basement and put some morphine in them to calm them down for my experiments. I had approximately seventeen rats I was testing at the time and got the same results for all of them, they had to be terminated. In my lab I got supplies to bring home for “work” when I was actually working to understand how he did it! How did one possibly find out how to become immortal, I mean i understood the the concept of relaxing your mind but how would one transcend to said Immortal? I finally realized every test I had done ended up in a terminated state which meant I was completely wrong all those times or I was consistant and I was getting a result after all? So I attached some mind cords to some more rats to record their brain activity before and after the experiment, what I found out was Horrific! It turns out the rats never actually died but instead their body died and their brain lived? I was quite confused and in shock as to why such a thing would happen or is possible? Then I started to think if my student used this work on humans. I became worried and extremely terrified as to how many people he has “transcended”.
    I quit my work on immortality as it could not be something one could achieve and live as man on earth. It was almost an unreachable concept that someone claimed they got, almost like somebody claiming they built a ladder to a said “heaven”.
    Now I wanted to check out what my student had developed, what exactly it could do, and worst of all how many people were affected by it. I got in my car and started driving on the highway and what I saw, OH what I saw… it was a billboard. The bloody billboard was advertising IMMORTALITY! Worst of all they were selling them like flu shots. I was so mad when I saw this I started driving and driving, I skipped a few red lights but I didn't notice because all I wanted to do was see exactly what was going on with my student’s work. I’m looking straight ahead going towards his office lab and my surroundings are red and blue.
    Then from here I don’t know what happened all I remember is red and blue lights and then a tree. It almost feels like my memory had a time-skip because I don’t remember how I got into this bed. Everything went south from here on out my sight only saw white and I couldn’t feel anything at all, almost like I was nothing, but I knew I was something.
    I got out of this bed I was in and started to get dressed, but a strange lady was telling me to stay put, she was yelling at me and I didn't know what to do. I ended up running out of the room, though I couldn’t find my way around. I asked another random person where the exit was and I eventually exited the building I wa in, turns out I was in a hospital.
    I called a taxi and the driver drove me to my house on the other side of town. All of my neighbors were surprised to see me, it felt like they didn’t want me here at all so I ignored them. I went to the University to tell the administration I was back and ready to work again but they seemed surprised and told me I couldn’t work. I did not know what was going on so I went back to my lab and saw that my test subjects were all still there as I left them. I stopped running the test on them and turned on the tv to see what was on, I watched it for about 4 hours and fell asleep. I woke up and the tv was still on so I went into the kitchen to make myself some coffee but I noticed one of my test rats in my kitchen paralyzed it looked like it was there for almost a year and it looked dead, molded, rotten, and of course it smelt like horses poop. I picked it up with a trash bag to throw it out and I noticed that the heart was still beating, so I took it back to my lab and noticed that all the rest of the rats were the same. I ran test and all of their brain activities and heart beats were normal but their actual bodies were dying. It was almost like they were the living dead… then it hit me! This is what my student came up with! To think this same thing was happening to other people that actually PAID for this! By this point I was furious so I got in my car and drove to my students enterprise building.
    I arrive at the bottom of the building and everybody walking and inside the building were looking at me the same way my neighbors were. I yell out his name “where are you!” “why have been letting these people physically die?”. But everybody looked at me the same then my student came down and said “why are you so interested in this Darrel?” “You were simply the first to go.”.
The End.

Story by Kaleb Beasley,

Kaleb1485198577644576

Board footer