Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-20 04:11:50, last edited by Abelysk (2016-03-20 04:12:27)

Abelysk

Official Community-based World Idea thread

Hi. I am making this thread to start an official idea sharing thread. All you do is comment ideas that you have for your levels. We can even make more ideas by mixing together others' ideas! Also, I believe by having more ideas, we can have more juice or passion in making worlds.

I'll start with my idea.

I am making an automatically-moving block world called Candy Factory. It runs on a key machine (note: my current version is balanced to ensure block animation is as flawless as possible - this image is NOT my current version).

Hopefully this thread can seen by many and payed attention by many. Having many ideas for levels is a great way to begin work on a level since thinking up of ideas can be difficult.

Also, ideas can be art, gameplay, music, or anything you want. For example, for art you can say, "What if the art was made with small triangles?" or "What if three colors were used only?"

Let's get somewhere. We're counting on each other!

#2 2016-03-20 12:07:52, last edited by Sensei1 (2016-03-20 12:08:23)

Sensei1

Re: Official Community-based World Idea thread

What a lovely thread! I usually get a lot of ideas but I never have time to actually make worlds out of them (not that I'm lazy or anything...)

One world I'd like to make is a PvP version of my rpg fight system. It'd work with keys and switches: Keys just tell simple actions like the other person hit you, and then it would lead you to this switch system which reduces your HP. It's basically two fighting systems, one per player, and keys are used to make those systems to interact with each other!

Another idea I had was this kind of "ally world". Basically, you go to the world in two tabs and you need to get both yourself and the afk you (who moves mostly with arrows) to the end. It could also be a world where you need to actually play in both tabs, like those games where you switch between two characters.

Then I had this "Tree simulator" idea. It'd be a story based world where you're seeing someone's life story from a tree's perspective. Not sure what kind of gameplay it would have.

I hope this won't be one of those threads that die in a week, it's a great idea itself //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2016-03-20 14:33:58

Lictor666

Nice thread, really, nice thread ! I also think ideas can emerged from two people ideas, so I'll list and explain somes of my ideas and concepts, and probably someone will one day use it or mix it with another one. (Of course, I keep the ones I'm planning to do soon private, mouhahaha !)

@Sensei1 : I liked a lot your RPG fight system, I've played it few times already, I'm sure there can be somes nice uses of this. But the system looks very complex to me //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Your idea about two tabs is nice too. That can create nice puzzles. Like two same worlds, but one is the negative of the other on the art (like one blue, the other red), and each mini is like illusions where you need to see it in the both tabs to understand it. Just thinking to it I wanna start two 200x200 levels right now !

For people searching for ideas to make something more orignal than a minis based world or something classic, feel free to use somes of my levels. I speak of "Maze Runner" and "Panicore". These two levels were easy and fun to build (gameplay part).

How to build a Maze Runner like ?
How to build a Panicore like ?

About the art, I use a lot the "square" style. It's really easy and nice for the ground or all kind of stuff, and can be used with every colors and declined in many ways.

How to make square style ?

If you are a builder who like challenge I have two other things for you guys : "Limited Blocks" challenge, and "Perma" challenge.

What is Limited blocks ?
What is perma challenge ?

To the person who reads this and wants to use one of these things : as long as it is not a block by block copy of a world no problem. Like I said not long ago, it is an honor for me to be copied rather than frustration, it means that the person likes what you do so GO ! BUILD !!

#4 2016-03-20 14:44:22

Sensei1

@Lictor
Oh my god, I've got to try those building challenges. It's weird, but by limiting your ways of working you usually end up with great results! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
Also if you want to, feel free to make a world with that two tabs idea, I'd love to see a world like that!

Wooted by:

#5 2016-03-20 16:49:15

Lictor666

Yes buildings challenges are my favorite way to make levels on EE, but it's also the one which take the more time and difficulty //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/neutral
I'm sure we can find others one...
Like limited time building (which can make an amazing contest, with limited teams numbers and staff streaming to show the progression of each level during the X hours of the contest. I already told it somes times in game so let's write it here !).

About the doube tab idea I keep it in mind, looks really fun to do //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

@Kefka : Why not create an album with art inspiration picture ?
I have a pinterest board with lot of pictures, I wanna keep somes for next levels, but that'll be usefull for somes people maybe if they see the rest.
The problem with shared pinterest board is that everybody can add and remove picture. So if a troll joined he can remove all and troll us with a rickroll link... I don't know if you know alternative ways.
Maybe we can just post here picture and you add them to an album, or, idk...

#6 2016-03-20 16:55:22

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

I built my tower worlds because of the original design on them. Having the community to make a world would be something disturbing for me as I don't have the creativity.

#7 2016-03-20 17:07:18

Pingohits
Banned

ideas list:
-Bingo made with switches & random portals, called Pingo Bingo

-spike based platforming, extremely difficult, the likes of VVVVVV or Super Meat Boy (already started, named Spikeman Adventures)

-platforming world based on music. stairs would hold drum noises, completing a level or stage would include a glissando

-mechanism to create randomly generated terrain (switch blocks)

791mAP8.png

Wooted by:

#8 2016-03-20 18:53:08, last edited by Abelysk (2016-03-20 22:46:20)

Abelysk

Pingohits wrote:

-mechanism to create randomly generated terrain (switch blocks)

I had an idea for this, actually. I'll need to think more on how to make it. Ninjasupeatninja made a system but it was really really basic.

Lictor666 wrote:

@Kefka : Why not create an album with art inspiration picture ?
I have a pinterest board with lot of pictures, I wanna keep somes for next levels, but that'll be usefull for somes people maybe if they see the rest.

If I get what you're saying, I'll make an album with unique art styles? Yeah, that's a great idea. I might find various art websites like Pixel Joint and upload art pieces on an album.

Also Lictor, Pingohits and Sensei, great ideas! Also for the challenges, that is something I've never thought of. And the RPG ideas that Sensei has are awesome! Can't wait to see what levels come out of this //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#9 2016-03-22 01:06:10

Lictor666

HG wrote:

I don't have the creativity.

Stop, never say this again.
No matter if I have to repeat myself, but creativity is only a matter of habit and practice. Everyone is creative, everyone can have a brilliant idea. But this is like a muscle, it will not come to you like magic.
Between your levels "The Tower" 1 and 2,  you find tips and improvements no ?
Test and experiment and you will see that you're a creative. Stop saying that, it's really frustrating ...

@Kefka : This thread should be sticky, but probably in level creation section !

Anyway for the album I don't know what is better.
I'll put here somes ideas I have for my next levels and my inspirations.
That can maybe give ideas for the contest, why not  //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Lot of pictures to get inspiration for your levels
Websites or other stuff you should watch

@Others : don't be egoist, share your ideas and do not keep them for you with the fear that people will you steal them : with the same ideas everyone will have their own interpretation so no worries !

Now go build, creativity awaits you //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

#10 2016-03-22 01:54:29

Kirby

An Idea that I had that I probably will never get around to building: Pompeii

Now if I'm not a total idiot and I remember correctly, that is the one city that got covered in ash from that big volcano and they all suffocated or something like that.

My idea was basically a speed run world where you have a minute to explore the city and go underground to safety.

If you die, a system teleports you to a small animation cutscene of lava landing everywhere.

If someone wants to make it be my guest, I probably won't

Wooted by:

#11 2016-03-22 02:47:36

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

i'll probably never get around to any of these because most of these are from 2011-2015 so:

Hidden text

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by:

#12 2016-03-22 03:19:40

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Zoey2070 wrote:

a dating sim/vis novel type thing

Wow I was planning to do something like that.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#13 2016-03-22 03:58:00

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

N1KF wrote:
Zoey2070 wrote:

a dating sim/vis novel type thing

Wow I was planning to do something like that.

i was really hesitant to add it because it's a really good idea (bee liked the idea iirc) but i figured that seeing as i haven't really done any work on it since last june that i might as well tell erryone else ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]

#14 2016-03-22 04:21:47

Abelysk

Lictor666 wrote:

This thread should be sticky, but probably in level creation section !

Agreed! Sticky please!

I might make a list of ideas tagged under players' names on the OP, though idk if I'll update it frequently.

Awesome ideas! It's cool to see people sharing their cool ideas and not hoarding them //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Another idea I have is making a world that builds itself in front of you through the use of switches. For example, as you're moving right, switch doors close and you are able to walk on it as you move right. I'll provide images to this concept later.

Wooted by:

#15 2016-03-22 08:27:02

Sensei1

@kefka
Sounds really interesting, I want to see the pics too!

Do you guys ever plan worlds/art on paper? These days I almost always plan my worlds on paper before building them. Here's some of my art planning on my sketchbook:

Hidden text

Everyone should try it, it has helped me a lot to build worlds //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by: (8)

#16 2016-03-22 18:19:04

Kira

Thanks lictor for those pictures, I'll definitely retry to make some

#17 2016-03-22 20:32:09

Aaro54

I've been planning a Cluedo-like level where there's a group of suspects, some weapons and some rooms. There would be NPCs and maybe other things that give you hints. Or then there could be an entirely different system for figuring the suspect and stuff. It could even randomize the suspect who did it when you enter the world. Anyways, I've never really had time or bothered to think of it much further, so if anyone wants to make this or plan it more, feel free to.

Another idea I have is something based on Stardew Valley. I'm not sure if the farming can really be done in EE, but if not, a level where you explore, go mining in the mines, fish and maybe socialize with townspeople would be a really cool level. I might myself try do this someday.

#18 2016-03-22 21:49:14

Tamashiimizu

Thansk for the pics! I'll definetely use them some day.

Sensei1 wrote:

Do you guys ever plan worlds/art on paper? These days I almost always plan my worlds on paper before building them. Here's some of my art planning on my sketchbook:

Everyone should try it, it has helped me a lot to build worlds //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

That's a really great advice. I wouldn't be able to finish my world for the Going Home Contest if I hadn't used paper and pen to delimit the space I could and could not use in the level.

#19 2016-03-22 21:53:28

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

Moved to Level Creation & Stickied

aka it's actually official now

#20 2016-03-23 04:37:49

Abelysk

Zoey2070 wrote:

Moved to Level Creation & Stickied

aka it's actually official now

Awesome!

#21 2016-03-23 17:20:44

Sensei1

Made a world using that Lictor's 10 block challenge. The world didn't end up being very good, I found making art really difficult O.o
Was interesting though!

#22 2016-03-23 19:05:23

Anak

Sensei1 wrote:

Made a world using that Lictor's 10 block challenge. The world didn't end up being very good, I found making art really difficult O.o
Was interesting though!

I did something similar using only 4 (visible) blocks, and another with 2. I think more minimalistic worlds are great ideas, and making worlds in two/three colours should be explored more. They usually go hand in hand with pixel art, however a little anti aliasing never hurts anyone.

#23 2016-03-23 20:15:59

Lictor666

Little tip for those who have art difficulties.
I used this a lot to shade the inside of buildings, very usefull and easy :

Hidden text

#24 2016-03-24 00:26:08

Abelysk

Sensei1 wrote:

Sounds really interesting, I want to see the pics too!

I decided I won't take images. Here's the world URL.

http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWNa8IkCnTb0I

Basically, you can't go backwards or you fall. It's a only-move-forward type of thing. 25 minis in total, and the ID resetter system at the far right of the map will be shortened (it will probably be much shorter than it currently is, so respawning is quicker).

Wooted by:

#25 2016-03-24 04:31:17

SirGrapefruit

I'm currently "working" on a gravity-based map where you can change gravity by teleporting between 4 identical but rotated worlds (one is "normal", one is rotated 90°, one 180° and one 270°). It is supposed to be a rather puzzly level although I'm not quite sure where to go with this idea.

I've even made a tech-demo because it's kinda hard to explain what I mean: http://everybodyedits.com/games/PWAwS6SccDcEI

The only problem so far is that I need to make a bot for this level to automate some block placings (I don't have to patience to make 4 times the same world and double-/ triple-check if everything is correctly placed //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/mad) and altough I'm 80% done with the bot, I cant find the motivation to actually finish it so the project is kinda stuck in limbo //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Another idea is something like a destroyed underground factory with a gas leak; upon entering the factory you got a curse effect with 60-90 seconds until you die. The only way to remove the effect is coming back to the surface to "catch breath", failing to do so makes you die and you have to restart the level. The idea is that the player has to choose when to go back; if he doesn't go deep enough he has to go down very often to accomplish things, if he goes too deep he doesn't have enough time to go back and dies. There also would be some shortcuts you unlock if you go deep enough so you can go faster and further in the next run.

The problem here is that I'm absolutely horrible with art and I couldn't do a destroyed factory for the life of mine, so nobody would recognize what this world is actually about //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue If anybody wants to use this idea (or the first one of you got the patience/bot for that), feel free to use them //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Stephen23301514006194687211

Board footer