Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-22 19:03:22, last edited by hummerz5 (2015-11-24 02:23:14)

hummerz5

considering bot idea mimicry (formerly: my latest query)(look, a title

yes, this is a query.

As a bot creationerist, I have realized something about the community and process and such: We avoid having the same idea twice.

Why is that? I remember being all rustled in the jimmies for finding out someone was copying my moving bot... and at the same time I found out that someone else had even thought the process up before me!

And now I see idea threads and the sort, where people dismissively say "nah, user X has this idea already"
But is that a problem?

Is it wrong to promote competition to make a better gaming experience?

The main issue I see here: the splitting of our already nonexistent userbase that belongs to EE.

Wooted by:

#2 2015-11-22 19:27:49

Zumza

Re: considering bot idea mimicry (formerly: my latest query)(look, a title

Its just a form of saying: "I'm to lazy ask X."
Some people feel important and they need to express their opinion regards to something to keep their reputation.
I have no wish to offence somebody.

I didn't saw anything.

Hidden text

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 2015-11-22 19:34:54

hummerz5

I'm not sure I understand.

I'm basically advocating the eradication of this mindset.
To continue the "Moving bot" example, I haven't updated that in years. Though it was never popular, I hope no one says "no, you can't make this bot, it's already been made." I hope this purely because I do not activate it, support it, or otherwise.

To apply this to other people, if a bot is/was popular, but the owner neglects it, what wrong is there in creating an offshoot?

Is it the protecting of ideas?

#4 2015-11-22 19:57:04

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Well, direct competition between bot coders might take away some of the fun from coding by adding time pressure. It might also lead to more releasing of half-finished bots and untested updates.

If someone made a Bombot or YoScroll parody, they'd probably be accused of copying rather than congratulated for inspiring the original creator to code better updates. While the new bot could eventually end up better it wouldn't have many players if it was similar to the original, which removes some of the motivation for coding a bot.

^^ Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

- The two competitors could unite in an explosion of inspiration and motivation and combine their efforts to achieve perfection.
- The new bot could deviate from its original idea to become something unique and amazing.
- The new bot could be similar to the first but become equally popular... because people would be playing morealess the same bot in different levels.

Maybe I've missed the benefits, but the fact remains that it's a lot easier to strike out on your own with a unique idea than to start coding already under the shadow of the original bot.

God help EE if bot coders suddenly realise that what the game needs now is 20 new versions of snake and digbot.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#5 2015-11-22 20:23:35, last edited by hummerz5 (2015-11-22 20:23:50)

hummerz5

I agree that we don't need repeated versions of the same bot. (edit: to that extent)

But what, exactly, is the harm in it? From the perspective of the amateur "bot creator," surely some form of disappointment is felt from not having a large audience? Though I have no statistics, I imagine 1 Yo!Scroll dupe would be more popular than the 20th snake bot duplicate. At that point, is the noob motivated to improve, and stem out, or simply to continue reiterating others' ideas?

However, I wanted to emphasize how inactive bots should not retain any form of hierarchy for "having an idea first."
If the bot is never hosted, why should we avoid using that idea, if people would play it?
And, if the idea is trite, people would not play it, so why recreate it?

#6 2015-11-22 20:44:13, last edited by Tomahawk (2015-11-22 20:45:02)

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Woah hummerz, you might've just pwned the reasoning behind the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act.

<3

I agree that dead bots can and should be remade by others, though giving credit to the original is always nice.

In most cases though, that "noob" might not achieve anything better than the original, which kinda makes the effort pointless. Unique ideas don't have that risk.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#7 2015-11-23 01:47:15

Tako
Website

Considering how open the frontier is, if you find yourself creating something that's similar to someone else's you should probably think a little harder about the concept.

Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

Wooted by:

#8 2015-11-23 15:42:01

den3107

The main problem with this, is when it's not approached carefully, it will be overdone like digbot and snake.

I do agree that something old (but most importantly dead) like temple wurm (so not snake) would be redone. Preferably first asking the original maker (if still active) first and obviously giving credits to him/her.

#9 2015-11-23 15:46:10

Koya
Fabulous Member

den3107 wrote:

The main problem with this, is when it's not approached carefully, it will be overdone like digbot and snake.

I do agree that something old (but most importantly dead) like temple wurm (so not snake) would be redone. Preferably first asking the original maker (if still active) first and obviously giving credits to him/her.

The bot was around for a while and I think it should be laid to rest forever unless the original creator were to bring it back.

I was working on Crown at the same time Frog made frogbot (I think I saw him in Crown test before he started working on frogbot but idk idc); first come first chance at success.
EE is a sandbox platform game, you have lots of bot opportunities - make something new.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#10 2015-11-24 02:11:42

Xfrogman43

Koya wrote:

I was working on Crown at the same time Frog made frogbot (I think I saw him in Crown test before he started working on frogbot but idk idc); first come first chance at success.

I'm pretty sure it was the same time, you just got done first :q

Koya wrote:

EE is a sandbox platform game, you have lots of bot opportunities - make something new.

But hey, if a bot hasn't been around for a long time, why not recreate it? Nostalgia purposes... amirite

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#11 2015-11-24 19:26:30

Zumza

We could make a Trend-mark Office - Topic. And so people will be able to license their ideas.

#12 2015-11-24 22:41:56

den3107

Zumza wrote:

We could make a Trend-mark Office - Topic. And so people will be able to license their ideas.

And who sais everybody is active on the forums?
I mean, I'm 4 years old on the game and joined the forums only a couple months ago, you do the math of time I missed here.

Wooted by:

#13 2015-11-26 20:52:25

Zumza

den3107 wrote:
Zumza wrote:

And who sais everybody is active on the forums?
I mean, I'm 4 years old on the game and joined the forums only a couple months ago, you do the math of time I missed here.

Well nor in real life the Trademark Office comes to knok at your door.

#14 2015-11-27 01:07:55

den3107

I think it will make fights about who was first with the idea and who's better easier to occur. And that's a bad thing.

But that's my opinion, tons more out there.

#15 2015-11-27 19:10:57

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

den3107 wrote:

But that's my opinion, tons more out there.

Tons more ideas too ^^

Find your own.

Tomahawk1448647857561857

Board footer