Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-27 20:26:44

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

so what about language options

so if you've ever played ee you'll know there's a ton of people who speak little/no english, and seeing as all the user interfaces and commands and block names etc are all in english... maybe it would be a bit more helpful for it to be in someone's native language? just have it be an option in the lobby. you'd need people to volunteer translating stuff, but I'm pretty sure we have a few bilingual people in the game.

just like. stuff like the god mode button. idk.

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

#2 2015-07-27 20:28:56

Anak

Re: so what about language options

If you look at BuzzerBee's language thread you'll see there are a lot of people that could help //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Yeah I think that'd be very helpful.

#3 2015-07-27 20:33:22

Creature

They have to learn english, communication is power here.

This is a false statement.

Wooted by: (5)

#4 2015-07-27 21:14:24

Nou

As an ESL teacher I'm gonna say nope, the internet is an amazing learning environment.

No u.

Wooted by: (3)

#5 2015-07-27 21:39:20

Anch

Nou wrote:

As an ESL teacher I'm gonna say nope, the internet is an amazing learning environment.

How does an ESL teacher end up coding for a game?

#6 2015-07-27 22:33:05

Zoey2070
Moderation Team

anch159 wrote:
Nou wrote:

because the game don't pay

proc's discorb UnGdm07.gif stylish themes for forums/the game UnGdm07.gif
꧁꧂L O V E & C O R N꧁꧂   ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ
danke bluecloud thank u raphe   Gq8tv9Z.gif [this section of my sig is dedicated to everything i've loved that's ever died]
? Hc0cu9u.gif         6yG4Efc.gif

Wooted by:

#7 2015-07-27 22:57:17

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Very small amount of people that play EE that do not speak/read English.  Most of them are Spanish and get along just fine in this game.

Discord: jawp#5123

#8 2015-07-28 06:12:37

Xfrogman43

JaWapa wrote:

Very small amount of people that play EE that do not speak/read English.  Most of them are Spanish and get along just fine in this game.

Yes but they should be able to read stuff in their own language if they want to, it would probably make them happy.

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2015-07-28 14:00:53

eeisold

Zoey2070 wrote:
anch159 wrote:
Nou wrote:

because the game don't pay

You answered the wrong end of the question.

I'm too lazy to load up the EE swf to see how all the words are rendered. However, I'm willing to bet that a lot of words are printed smack on the GUI. So either the developers get lazy and double up all of those images (noticeably increasing the load time) or have to re-write code to draw words (depending on language) onto the GUI bg.
Otherwise it should be relatively simple.

Wooted by:

#10 2015-07-28 14:33:40

Anch

JaWapa wrote:

I agree; there is a clear line between spanish worlds and English worlds. And those spanish worlds always have those guys that speak... well spanish (obviously).

#11 2015-07-28 14:38:21

Creature

What about an english tutorial? It could look like Kindergate english class.

This is a false statement.

#12 2015-07-28 15:01:35, last edited by Era (2015-07-28 15:02:06)

Era

I think that a person will either figure out what a button does by clicking it (oh "goto lobby" sends me back to the lobby) or just use google translate or some other service (they're quite acurate w/ words alone)

#13 2015-07-28 19:08:33, last edited by 0176 (2015-07-28 19:09:45)

Nou wrote:

Definitely. The reason why I'm almost fluent in English although I'm living a small street in a random Brazilian town (and never took an English course)? I got forced to understand what I'm reading in video games.

Well if anything, I could help translating Brazilian Portuguese.. *cough* especially if there are dolla rewards ° ͜ʖ ͡° *cough*
edit: half kidding

Wooted by: (4)

#14 2015-07-28 19:09:32

Anak

Well, if you're wanting to learn a language, it's good to immerse yourself in that language and do things that involve you with it. (Not everyone may be looking to learn a language though)

#15 2015-07-29 04:10:57

Fradeshan

anch159 wrote:
Nou wrote:

who said he was coding for the game?

dogeman: OH GOD THIS IS WORSER THAN A MASH POTATO

#16 2015-07-29 05:11:28, last edited by BuzzerBee (2015-07-29 05:11:50)

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

Basically what you're saying is you want to force people to learn English because you're too lazy to add other languages to the game?

Don't tell me I'm wrong because that's exactly what's happening.

(By "you" I mean the devs)

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

#17 2015-07-29 11:02:36

Nou

BuzzerBee wrote:

Basically what you're saying is you want to force people to learn English because you're too lazy to add other languages to the game?

It's a win/win.

But hey I guess learning one of the most important languages in the world is a bad thing. It's better to keep people who speak other languages isolated together with their fellow other speaking language friends. And we need more Polish/Brazilian levels in the lobby because we all love those.

But seriously though, with a master's degree in linguistics (I've had my share of sociolinguistics) as well as a master's degree in teaching on top of the fact that I've personally experienced what it's like to be immersed in different languages on the internet, I'm telling you, having the game be English only has many many advantages.

Having different language options creates different layers in the community causing less interaction between players and thus creating a less tightly-knit community in addition to stealing an immersive learning environment away from them.
Yes we get some forum posts or some messages in PM that are hard to understand sometimes, but I've seen plenty of people improve their English so much on EE, it's almost scary.

And as a bonus it saves us a ton of work.

No u.

#18 2015-07-29 13:30:39

Michele
Formerly AntonioS300

Nou wrote:
BuzzerBee wrote:

It's a win/win.

But hey I guess learning one of the most important languages in the world is a bad thing. It's better to keep people who speak other languages isolated together with their fellow other speaking language friends. And we need more Polish/Brazilian levels in the lobby because we all love those.

But seriously though, with a master's degree in linguistics (I've had my share of sociolinguistics) as well as a master's degree in teaching on top of the fact that I've personally experienced what it's like to be immersed in different languages on the internet, I'm telling you, having the game be English only has many many advantages.

Having different language options creates different layers in the community causing less interaction between players and thus creating a less tightly-knit community in addition to stealing an immersive learning environment away from them.
Yes we get some forum posts or some messages in PM that are hard to understand sometimes, but I've seen plenty of people improve their English so much on EE, it's almost scary.

Nou. Can you tell me why we don't allow language option?

Idler.jpg
XOsS4ha.gif

#19 2015-07-29 13:36:13

Nou

AntonioS300 wrote:
Nou wrote:
BuzzerBee wrote:

It's a win/win.

Nou. Can you tell me why we don't allow language option?

I literally just did in the post you quoted :/

No u.

Wooted by: (5)

#20 2015-07-29 13:42:39

Nebula

I agreed with that.

#21 2015-07-29 16:01:32

Anak

English is an awfully hard language to learn with a bunch of rules that make absolutely no sense.
Keeping the game in one language only means that it is less accessible to more players around the world, whether you think they're going to learn English by playing it or not. I'm not going to go play a game that's only in Chinese or Spanish or Russian. Sure, it would be useful for me to learn those languages, but it's going to drive me away the fact that I understand nothing that's going on. If the game has the option of the English language, it's going to make me want to play it more than if it didn't, because I'll be able to understand it.

#22 2015-07-29 16:31:31, last edited by beyblad (2015-07-29 16:35:59)

beyblad

It would be great if there are multi-languages on ee but ee isn't popular, multi-languages may not be necessary. English is a common language on the internet, I guess they could understand a little of English on the game so that they can get an account and play ee.
They should respect others who don't understand their languages, I think they should speak English when there are a lot of people who don't understand their languages and speak their own languages on ee when they are talking to their friends in real life.
It would be really complex if there are multi-languages of commands.Maybe languages option will exist on someday after ee became popular lol.
I wonder how did those people play ee if they can't speak/understand English.

(My first post on ee forum, lol)

giphy.gif

#23 2015-07-29 20:22:16

Swarth100

I have certifications for both my Italian and English level (French is on th iffy side ~ passed the DELF B1 with 92.5)
If needed I am avaliable for providing translations.

-spinastar

#24 2015-07-29 22:57:11

Mylo
Master Developer

Well, regarding the fact EE is still focused on childs (around 6-13yrs old), I think this could really help to increase the amount of users.
A lot of kids these days don't put much effort into learning english or are just demotivated, because of school.
Sure it might be good for them, but that's not what EE is about, it's more about getting more users (at least for now) and enabling them to have a good time.

I only see one issue, - since this game has already a small community, this might split it into little groups, which all speak their native language.

Wooted by:

#25 2015-07-29 23:32:16

BuzzerBee
Forum Admin

If that's the case, I'd like the game to be in 100% Arabic so I can learn it quicker.
(Not sarcasm, I would seriously like that.)

TdQRyz3.png
https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/5/5d/135_bee

Wooted by:
Hexagon1438471371526242

Board footer