Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

Hexagon

PlayerIO.js

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about "converting" the PlayerIO "library" to javascript. While the plans aren't totally solidified yet, I've been playing around with some really cool Javascript libraries and I can totally see how this could work.

What would happen is my server would act as middleware, relaying events (such as user movements, chat and such)   to your web browser. A special account (who's credentials are exclusive to my server) will be used to run your code on. Your javascript code (running locally in a web browser at your house for example) can do whatever it needs to do with these events (such as monitoring for a command) and send them back to the server, which relays it to the bot. I've created a prototype; it's a little rough around the edges but can work. The same account can be used to run multiple bots on, which is neat (since it's just sending and receiving commands).

What I'm really concerned with is privacy. Since everything is available to you (chats and usernames) sending them to the web is made quite easy. This means that chats could easily be logged and can be seen by the public. By allowing bots to be created more easily, this means that more malicious bots could be created. I'm also worried about script injection, and that commands can be sent to the bot that are unauthorized.

Moreover, I feel that there is something fundamentally wrong that I'm not quite seeing as it hasn't been made already.

Would you use this? Comments and suggestions are welcome.

#2 Before February 2015

Zumza

Re: PlayerIO.js

Yes i will if you give me directly the js. I will not be interested as you want because im feel limited.

Everybody edits, but some edit more than others

#3 Before February 2015

Hexagon

The Doctor wrote:

Yes i will if you give me directly the js. I will not be interested as you want because im feel limited.

I agree that it is limiting (you aren't as flexible in C#) mostly because I'm trying to reduce the risk of malware and other access (like to the filesystem) with regular C# applications.

I will "give" you the js (you can run the same functions as you would in C# for example) but they have to be sent to a server for it to be processed (since credentials cannot be stored in a javascript file!)

#4 Before February 2015

Hexagon

Rethinking this, I could open source the event dispatcher (written in C#) and everything would run locally. This means that you can have the js file.

#5 Before February 2015

XxAtillaxX

There are Javascript projects that support web requests and sockets.
That's pretty much all you need for making a PlayerIO Javascript port.

I've already created a C# EE Bot that doesn't use PlayerIOClient and is fully open source.
So you can see for yourself how simple it actually is. [Directory]

signature.png
*u stinky*

#6 Before February 2015

Hexagon

XxAtillaxX wrote:

There are Javascript projects that support web requests and sockets.
That's pretty much all you need for making a PlayerIO Javascript port.

I've already created a C# EE Bot that doesn't use PlayerIOClient and is fully open source.
So you can see for yourself how simple it actually is. [Directory]

Wow C# isn't that bad! That's actually so simple that I'll request a lock on this topic.

Hexagon1423757586203846

Board footer