Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

MFL

EX Crew Dark City

EX Crew presents its sleeping giant:

Dark City

81246496.png
BETA LINK
NON-BETA LINK
Still in beta, edits currently being made for difficulty and possible exploits.
Entire map not recommended for playthrough in one sitting (read below).

You've somehow warped in accidentally from a foreboding red portal, and now you must venture through the futuristic ruins of a space metropolis, escaping to the blue portal by whatever means necessary.

The goal of the map is to get to the blue portal, and there are many ways to get there. If you're unable to break through a challenge, you might end up falling to another area of the city, taking a new path forth. You might also wriggle your way out of a pinch and into some area previously unexplored, carving a dangerous route through the space debris surrounding the city. There are many paths, and all can lead to victory, but be careful:
The further from the city center that you fall, the more danger you face in getting sucked into a black hole! D:

Don't be worried, with some focus and careful playing, even amateurs will be able to make it off the city and into the safety of the blue portal. Plus, for the more adventurous and diehard EX fans, there are plenty of areas that you can explore and maybe find some secret paths and easter eggs (dev room fun times) along the way. It's actually quite a short map to win. Try it again on another day and take a different path for a new experience.

Thanks to our various testers from EX1, we hope to have you guys back to help with more maps.

Good luck space adventurers!

MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

This map emerged from the deepest rungs of, what we in the game production business call, 'development superhell'.

Here is what the map looked like three months ago:

dc2e.png

As you can see, the map is complicated. The initial idea was to have a map that had many paths that varied in difficulty and style, all connected by drops and climbs between. This complex intertwining of paths, coupled with the desire not to change Ravatroll's superlative and intricate art design, was a designer's nightmare. But, despite having the members of EX Crew being spread thin on various projects and concerns outside E.E., the behemoth has been wrangled.

What you see in that older picture is the map being destroyed probably for the 3rd time, with the gameplay paths being redrawn. I can't count how many different challenges this map has seen, it could have probably been released four times with the different challenges that each area has had over time (though none of the releases prior to this one would be up to EX Crew standards).

END OF SPOILERS

With the release of this map, EX Crew hopes to shake off its cold spell and start bringing again our trademark inventiveness that keeps you guys marveling at the possibilities within Everybody Edits. As mustang stated in our EX Crew group thread, we are working on a number of maps, including a:

Map with a spider in the middle
Map about a journey to somewhere and back again
Map of an undisclosed epic battle
Map of changing proportions
Map harder than Are You A God?
Map with evolving rooms

So we hope to see the lot of you guys in EX1 over the next while. Have fun!

MFL

Last edited by MFL (Feb 17 2011 10:48:16 pm)

#2 Before February 2015

EE King

Re: EX Crew Dark City

Loved it   //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

#3 Before February 2015

Cyclopsicle

Simply put AWESOME!!! Thanks EX Crew you gave EE another thing and //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile Second! I Searched up EX and saw Dark City and was like "WTF?" so I searched it on Forums //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Last edited by Cyclopsicle (Feb 18 2011 12:28:42 am)

#4 Before February 2015

gamez7

One word: awesome.

#5 Before February 2015

Codfoshie

Good design, overall, good challenges, although i hate the poor checkpointing in the coin minis.

#6 Before February 2015

mustang

Doctor_downes wrote:

Good design, overall, good challenges, although i hate the poor checkpointing in the coin minis.

Those are not supposed to be checkpoints, they are supposed to be ways to fall back to the lower and easier levels which was part of the core concept of this map. You always have a chance to save yourself, and after you collect a coin you never have to repeat the coin mini which also compensates for the earlier possibility of falling.

I'm glad you liked it overall, and I hope more players try out the map.

#7 Before February 2015

Codfoshie

mustang wrote:

Those are not supposed to be checkpoints, they are supposed to be ways to fall back to the lower and easier levels which was part of the core concept of this map. You always have a chance to save yourself, and after you collect a coin you never have to repeat the coin mini which also compensates for the earlier possibility of falling.

So, if you keep failing one or two minis, you have to do loads of other easier minis, just to have another try, That gets massively ragey after a while, and this is not what i remember EX crew maps used to be, the design is there, but the concept i don't like much.

The minis are on the quo for EX crew, the coin ones anyways, but i dont like, if you fail or have lag and you fall, you have to do lots of random stuff to get back up to have another try.

10/10 for art,
9/10 for minis
10/10 for the several route strategy
3/10 for the retrying of minis if failing
Overall 8/10

#8 Before February 2015

RavaTroll

I hope you guys will like it.
I spent a lot of time trying to draw something (really) good while everyone in EX Crew was trying to destroy my art.

SNTDcGF.png Trolls be in da place, mon ! SNTDcGF.png

#9 Before February 2015

luker2009

yay! the level Iv been waiting along time to see(I saw it over 3 months ago , havent checked since last month.) so yay! looks fun.

#10 Before February 2015

Icarus

THIS IS AWESOME! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
I beat it twice within five minutes, both times going through the black hole. Is that supposed to happen?

#11 Before February 2015

mustang

Icarus wrote:

THIS IS AWESOME! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
I beat it twice within five minutes, both times going through the black hole. Is that supposed to happen?

That's the easy path to the ending, so yes it's supposed to happen. You should explore and try to find a different and harder path, but be careful not to fall as you will end up back on the easy path if you fall too many times.

Good luck if you decide to try again!

Last edited by mustang (Feb 18 2011 3:52:12 pm)

#12 Before February 2015

Cola1

Epic levels as usual :3

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

#13 Before February 2015

noknok

That is pretty easy to make. I can make it at 1 hour without the help of the others.

#14 Before February 2015

MIHB

noknok wrote:

That is pretty easy to make. I can make it at 1 hour without the help of the others.

Then please do so, we like to see more good levels.   Don't forget to post it on here.

#15 Before February 2015

Shy Guy

Awesome... as usual :/ *sigh*

#16 Before February 2015

Zerda

C[][]|_ lvls! ;D

Last edited by Zerda (Feb 19 2011 2:02:36 pm)

#17 Before February 2015

Greenzoid2

why th e sigh shy guy?

ha I rhymed.
Love the level ex crew!

#18 Before February 2015

correiajoao

nice art and levels

MFL1423777934183498

Board footer