Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

sbeam

The real Peter a.k.a. sbeam here

Hi Everyone

First of all, thanks for the warm welcome on the blog. It's wonderful to see such a dedicated user base like here in EE //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile I am as some of you might know, the new guy working on EE together with Chris.

Apparently someone got to the forums before me though, created a fake user with my real name, a picture from my homepage, and much more. No harm done, and our great admins were so kind to notify me and delete the user in a hurry.

Well, with all that said, i am glad to be a part of EE, and have a lot of great features coming for you. Contrary to popular belief, we do read the forums, and we do very much discuss what you guys say. Most of the time we are just busy coding and discussing the stuff in private, instead of
here in the community. We have great admins to take care of that for us.

The recent update

As it caused quite a stir, i think that it's my duty to say a few words about the recent update.

As i was profiling the game (optimizing it and seeing which parts were the slowest), i found that physics were accounting for quite a bit of time, and that i had a really slow framerate on my computer. I talked to Chris about it, and although we knew it would cause a stir, we decided that the physics code needed an optimization. It was just necessary before we could implement any more cool features. So we took the chance, and it was a long a really painful process. It was literally killing Chris, and he even took a day with EX Crew on their IRC channel to try to get it as close to the old physics as possible. We also tried to solve the problem with being unable to jump up through a 1 brick hole, by auto-centering the player when he stood still close to the middle. It worked quite well i think, but apparently some users still complained, and we had to make the auto-centering even more subtle and slow. So, i hope everyone will eventually be happy again, specially with the improved frame rate. Also, the background layer would not have been possible if not for the physic optimizations.

Regarding the minimap.

When Chris started the game, he manually programmed a color for each and every brick into the minimap, so it knew what to draw for each brick. As the game grew, it turned out to be quite a tedious task. Therefor i made some code to automatically generate the colors in the minimap from now on, to pave the way for a faster and more streamlined process when releasing new graphic. As it is now, it is simply a quite advanced and long process, just to add one simple brick to the game. Therefore, i intend to make this whole process much easier and faster, so we can get to a place where we can release much more graphical content, much more regularly.

I realized that some of you hardcore artists were really upset of minor changes in the way colors were rendered (i could not see the difference until i started digging in your forum posts), so i spend some time trying to preserve all the old colors, while still auto-generating all the new bricks. The most recent update should therefore render things exactly as the were before.

To sum things up then.. We love you all, listen to what you say here on the forums, and consider every tiny change a lot before doing anything. With that said though, as with every other community, you have to consider the greater goods once in a while. Changing the physics sucked for many of you hardcore players yes, but we are 100% sure that most of you will get over it in a little while, and instead enjoy all the hopefully cool features that i paved the way for instead.

The backgrounds

Last, i just want to give everyone a big thumbs up for the way you have been using the new backgrounds until now. I'm already amazed over your creativity, and last night i both visited the cutest little hotel in EE, went cave climbing, and took a cool race on a blue racetrack. Man that was cool. Especially noteworthy was the Super Mario level, which just minutes after we released had redrawn the entire level to use the background!

Keep hanging in there, keep making awesome levels and surprising us by being the most creative players a game can get //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Digitally yours,

Peter a.k.a. sBeam

Wooted by:

#2 Before February 2015

Cyclone or Meredith

Re: The real Peter a.k.a. sbeam here

Welcome to the forums, Peter! Glad to finally see the real you here.

Wooted by:

#3 Before February 2015

The First Gamer

Welcome aboard, Sbeam, and may we be able to serve you as well as you can serve us, we will try our best to make sure you have a welcoming and enjoyable stay, let us hope nothing goes wrong in this event so that we can move forward without problems.

Wooted by:

#4 Before February 2015

Rurigok

Hey Peter, welcome!   I hope to see you around the forums often.

Wooted by:

#5 Before February 2015

RPGMaster2000

Welcome to the EE team, Peter! Glad to have you on board. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Wooted by:

#6 Before February 2015

MadReaper

You already have 5 +reps, just because your peter, anyway, welcome to the forums.

Wooted by:

#7 Before February 2015

Bossking

Nice to see that only 5 persons posted here and of these 5 3 are admins   =P

Welcome peter/sbeam, i hope you make ee better and cooler.

Wooted by:

#8 Before February 2015

DK Levels

Welcome to the forums //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile
Really loving the update now, I hope more cool stuff will come //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by:

#9 Before February 2015

treejoe4

Whats in for us in the future?

Wooted by:

#10 Before February 2015

Betaguy

Wow I actually read all that? 2YTqz.png
Anyway welcome Peter //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Last edited by Betaguy (Jul 31 2011 2:30:20 pm)

Wooted by:

#11 Before February 2015

Welcome to the forums, read t- Nevermind, you're an admin... //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by:

#12 Before February 2015

Echo!

Very dedicated post,I see

Hellllllllllllllloooooooooo Peter *waves*

Wooted by:

#13 Before February 2015

Bobithan

Ohai peter. I hope you are on the forums more often than Chris //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile
I refreshed the page and your rep went up by one. 2 posts and you already have 8 rep //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Wooted by:

#14 Before February 2015

I bet that Peter is gonna get LOADS of PMs with "zung gimme us w8ter n mod mode 4 all n ingame enimeitor n gunz n rocketz!!11!!!1!"... :/

Wooted by:

#15 Before February 2015

Monstar43

Hai Peter! You had better be more active then Chris >:V.

Wooted by:

#16 Before February 2015

Kuech

Welcome to the forums Peter! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile

Wooted by:

#17 Before February 2015

Kaosslasher

0176 wrote:

I bet that Peter is gonna get LOADS of PMs with "zung gimme us w8ter n mod mode 4 all n ingame enimeitor n gunz n rocketz!!11!!!1!"... :/

yeah like really, who would do that <.< >.>

Welcome Peter! nice to to meet you //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by:

#18 Before February 2015

editman2323

Hi Peter!! i wanna get a job like that when i grow up!! i love your ideas for updates, my EE name is ITOOLIKETOEDIT //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Wooted by:

#19 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

welcome to our forums peter! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile I hope you stay active, I can't wait to see what updates are in store for us later on.

P.S your I like your username //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by:

#20 Before February 2015

kingjamstar

Hey, Peter Welcome to the forums. Hope your more active then Chris! Ha
P.S Can you make you profile public

Wooted by:

#21 Before February 2015

MadReaper

I just realized that nobody said: "Read the rules Peter"
So remember to read the rules //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

Wooted by:

#22 Before February 2015

Cola1

Welcome Peter/sbeam.
... *le awkward*
I don't really have much to say :<

smilpat.gif
kQgdwOD.png

Wooted by:

#23 Before February 2015

manurthebest

Welcome to the forums. Hope you give us some great updates as I am expecting a lot from you. Anyway... I always believed that the new updates might not be great now, but will be in the future,

Last edited by manurthebest (Jul 31 2011 4:07:41 pm)

Wooted by:

#24 Before February 2015

Wolf exile1

... -,- You forgot to read the rules...

I am having bad feelings about this one...

Wooted by:

#25 Before February 2015

plat aka kingpooultra

why is that Wolf?

Wooted by:
sbeam 14239521919241

Board footer