Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 Before February 2015

danwhite89

Do you feel there is little incentive to win?

When I play videogames, I play them and complete the more menial challenges because I want to win, and winning usually presents itself with rewards, be it a new skill, a new challenge, or something generally cool. But do you think that there's little incentive anymore to complete a level at times? Perhaps it's because I've undertaken so many levels and won a good majority of that, but I don't quite feel that there's a drive to "win" anymore. Crowns are a decent idea but are ultimately a little useless because you could be racing someone to finish first, only to get 5 seconds of crown glory before they earn it because you 'won' earlier. And there's only so many "WELL DONE!" messages that you can take. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue Codes do my head in as well, mainly because they're never the actual code!

I'm not suggesting that every level should be some kind of intricate piece of gaming with tons of hidden areas and hard-to-reach places, but I'd like there to be something at the end of the level that gives you more drive to win. Perhaps you get a higher jump, meaning that you can replay the level and get to those otherwise impossible to reach places, giving you more minigames to play. I think grapplehooks would be pretty awesome too, with the ability to swing through the map. I don't think the game should be completely full of power ups and gimmicks, but I think a few, placed in the right positions, would give us a little more reason to finish a level.

That said, I might just be getting too old for this game already! I mean when I did start playing, a "WELL DONE!" and 1000 coins was more than enough to satisfy me after I completed a level!

#2 Before February 2015

musuki

Re: Do you feel there is little incentive to win?

I think a reward system is great in theory, but I'm not too sure how it could be implemented without the possibility of it being exploited or abused. If more smileys were introduced, I think it'd be cool if you had to unlock/purchase them with points you earn from beating levels.

As you mentioned, I think the problem is more about you (and I) having played the game to a point where nothing is new or interesting anymore. I'm now relying on future updates to spark some sort of creative revolution... wishful or hopeful thinking? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

#3 Before February 2015

I Like This Game2

There's a simple way of putting rewards into the actual game. You can earn rewards that effect your account perminantly, but the creator of a room decides if that room enables the power-ups or not when they enter the room name and code at the start.

#4 Before February 2015

musuki

I Like This Game2 wrote:

There's a simple way of putting rewards into the actual game. You can earn rewards that effect your account perminantly, but the creator of a room decides if that room enables the power-ups or not when they enter the room name and code at the start.

The problem is how do you earn them?

#5 Before February 2015

I Like This Game2

musuki wrote:
I Like This Game2 wrote:

Havn't thought of that yet!

#6 Before February 2015

xiaounlimited

musuki wrote:
I Like This Game2 wrote:

How do you implement a standardized system for this? What's stopping an author from giving out, say, 10000 points for a map? How does a map recognize you've completed it? How much coding would the extra power-ups require to go beyond the limitations of the current game engine? Of that time spent coding, how long would it delay extra updates? All these variables become a complex process in loading and saving, which in turn means needless server strain and data usage. It goes beyond just "give us points for winning a map," because in the end it becomes an unwholesome and unwieldy way to make you feel like you've accomplished something. It is decidedly a lot more complex than most people understand.

Don't get me wrong. Sometimes the only way I feel satisfied is by overcoming a difficult challenge (EX Crew Maps, MFL, things to that extent) - and that a reward can be put into place. But as the game stands I think simply developing more map creation opens up a lot more opportunity than an achievement point system or something similar.

Maybe later, when the sandbox system is a lot more robust. EE is far from becoming the Garry's Mod of platforming.

Last edited by xiaounlimited (Oct 9 2010 10:36:39 am)

#7 Before February 2015

TheGreenTroll

The solution is achievements.

#8 Before February 2015

Nou

If you don't have a sense of achievement after you've finished the level, you're playing the wrong levels //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

No u.

#9 Before February 2015

Google

Nou wrote:

If you don't have a sense of achievement after you've finished the level, you're playing the wrong levels //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

This
/Thead

#10 Before February 2015

Flare

Well, obviously, if the level is either annoying or redundant, you won't get much of a sense of achievement after you've finished. If it's straight out challenging, yeah, sense of achievement. EX Crew maps, for example.

danwhite89 1423855504105928

Board footer