Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-04-19 16:55:04

skullz17

Re: Hey can we stop misusing trigger warnings?

N1KF wrote:
skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:

I wouldn't even say it is being used incorrectly because "triggered" is basically a meme that is used when something makes you angry.

If it's a meme, how about we not name BBCode tags after memes? By your logic, could we have a Nyan Cat tag that makes your text rainbow! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Ok this doesn't make any sense. Trigger tags have an actual functionality, regardless of what they're called. Diff is not gonna add a rainbow text tag, whether it's called [rainbow] or [nyan].

My point was that we shouldn't have tags based off ironic memes.

And why's that?

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#27 2017-04-19 18:09:03

XxAtillaxX

I don't see how it's being misused, at the moment trigger warning tags seem broken.
This is clearly a bait post either way, so here's your reply you crave so very much.

CONTENT WARNING

signature.png
*u stinky*

#28 2017-04-19 20:21:07

Evilbunny

N1KF wrote:
skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:

I wouldn't even say it is being used incorrectly because "triggered" is basically a meme that is used when something makes you angry.

If it's a meme, how about we not name BBCode tags after memes? By your logic, could we have a Nyan Cat tag that makes your text rainbow! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Ok this doesn't make any sense. Trigger tags have an actual functionality, regardless of what they're called. Diff is not gonna add a rainbow text tag, whether it's called [rainbow] or [nyan].

Other people's fun shouldn't be limited to your personal (tiny) sense of humor.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#29 2017-04-19 22:44:22

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:

And why's that?

Simple, just remember the acronym P.O.M.—People Overuse Memes. To me, nowadays the joking usage of "triggered" is as funny as Harambe jokes. Memes tend to expire quickly.

Evilbunny wrote:

Other people's fun shouldn't be limited to your personal (tiny) sense of humor.

The fun from this feature is rather limited. It may be mildly funny at first, but after the effect wears off it becomes a serious part of the forum.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#30 2017-04-19 23:16:48

dcomet

N1KF wrote:

Memes tend to expire quickly.

i never expired pkvflT7.pngpkvflT7.pngpkvflT7.png

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#31 2017-04-19 23:19:41

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

DarkComet wrote:
N1KF wrote:

You can keep trying, but aside from you I haven't seen doge in weeks.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#32 2017-04-20 03:15:33

dcomet

N1KF wrote:
DarkComet wrote:
N1KF wrote:

You can keep trying, but aside from you I haven't seen doge in weeks.

there can only be onEE //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool pkvflT7.png

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#33 2017-04-23 00:22:09

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

This topic is kind of useless until we get an official response. Different55, what do you think about all of this?

Everybody Edits is Fred

#34 2017-04-23 00:46:51, last edited by Different55 (2017-04-23 00:47:11)

Different55
Forum Admin

About abusing TW? Already said (in the very first reply to this topic) it's not something to be worried about at all. If someone actually had a legitimate problem with it they would have said so. Don't go getting offended on behalf of someone who doesn't exist.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#35 2017-04-23 03:23:04

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Different55 wrote:

About abusing TW? Already said (in the very first reply to this topic) it's not something to be worried about at all. If someone actually had a legitimate problem with it they would have said so. Don't go getting offended on behalf of someone who doesn't exist.

Why do we have it named "trigger" in the first place, though? It's not just an issue of offensiveness.

Is "trigger" really a better name for a tag than something like "warning"? There are multiple meanings for the word "trigger", while "warning" has a single clear meaning. Instead of using the clearer meaning, you're using an ironic meme for a forum feature. That's not user-friendly.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#36 2017-04-23 03:39:09

dcomet

N1KF wrote:
Different55 wrote:

Why do we have it named "trigger" in the first place, though? It's not just an issue of offensiveness.

Is "trigger" really a better name for a tag than something like "warning"? There are multiple meanings for the word "trigger", while "warning" has a single clear meaning. Instead of using the clearer meaning, you're using an ironic meme for a forum feature. That's not user-friendly.

memes are keen. pkvflT7.pngpkvflT7.pngpkvflT7.png

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png

Wooted by:

#37 2017-04-23 16:57:57

Pingohits
Banned

N1KF wrote:
Different55 wrote:

Trigger has become slang. The average person knows what it means in this context. "Warning" would actually be more ambiguous, for people may recognize it as a warning from a moderator.

791mAP8.png

Wooted by: (2)

#38 2017-04-23 20:01:53, last edited by N1KF (2017-04-23 20:02:07)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Pingohits wrote:

Trigger has become slang. The average person knows what it means in this context.

I'm not a big fan of hip&kool ironic slang being used here. The Grand Meme Hierarchy determines that ironic memes used to mock other people are pretty bottom-notch. Not even I sink down to that level, and if this forum is below my level then something's wrong.

"Warning" would actually be more ambiguous, for people may recognize it as a warning from a moderator.

That's a good point, but we have the mouseover descriptions for a reason. I would have no idea what "pre" would mean if the highlight text weren't there.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#39 2017-04-23 21:27:24

Evilbunny

N1KF wrote:

if this forum is below my level then something's wrong.

have you considered that it might be you

Diff has expressed that he isn't going to change it and nobody cares except you so I think you should just let it go. Go find something else to harp on.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

Wooted by:

#40 2017-04-23 21:49:15

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Evilbunny wrote:
N1KF wrote:

if this forum is below my level then something's wrong.

have you considered that it might be you

Yeah, I have. I still have an argument that hasn't been responded to. I'll need to have that last point be addressed before I change my mind.

Diff has expressed that he isn't going to change it and nobody cares except you so I think you should just let it go.

Different kind of just goes with the flow. This topic, like many of my other opinions, is one of my opinions that hasn't caught on. While I doubt I can fully change anybody's mind, I'm going to at least try! If nobody sticks up for their unusual opinions, everybody will slowly just conform to the norm. It's a universal trend in all groups.

Go find something else to harp on.

I don't really have any other notable opinions that I haven't expressed on this forum already in some way.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#41 2017-10-28 23:55:09

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

hummerz5 wrote:

obligatory "the actual use of trigger warnings should be discussed elsewhere"

suddenly random sig change

#42 2017-10-28 23:56:56, last edited by hummerz5 (2017-10-28 23:57:42)

hummerz5

good job slabdrill

merged your topic

#43 2017-10-29 00:03:37

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

lol, the topic got merged as I was posting.

It bugs me that there's a BBCode called "trigger warning" rather than something like "content warning" for the meme value while devaluing actual triggers some people have. That aside, I'm going to give this answer to Slabdrill based on the offensive definition the forum uses:

Trigger warnings should be used for inappropriate language and jokes that would not otherwise be allowed on a forum post. However, it can't be used as an excuse to ignore other rules.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by:

#44 2017-10-29 03:55:31, last edited by soniiiety (2017-10-29 03:58:29)

soniiiety

skullz17 wrote:

N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:
If it's a meme, how about we not name BBCode tags after memes? By your logic, could we have a Nyan Cat tag that makes your text rainbow! cool

CONTENT WARNING

#45 2017-10-29 05:01:06, last edited by Abelysk (2017-10-29 05:01:36)

Abelysk

TRIGGER WARNING

#46 2017-11-15 02:13:45, last edited by N1KF (2017-11-15 02:27:47)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

I feel like people now are misusing trigger tags more than they use spoiler tags at all. Trigger warnings are becoming more and more useless because of this.

Also, we still don't have any official response to some of the stuff posted over half a year ago.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#47 2017-11-15 02:50:28

XxAtillaxX

N1KF wrote:

I feel like people now are misusing trigger tags more than they use spoiler tags at all. Trigger warnings are becoming more and more useless because of this.

Also, we still don't have any official response to some of the stuff posted over half a year ago.

CONTENT WARNING

signature.png
*u stinky*

#48 2017-11-15 03:30:08

Different55
Forum Admin

There's no rule against it

I don't see any reasons in here why there should be a rule against it.

- ShinsukeIto

#49 2017-11-15 05:15:06, last edited by N1KF (2017-11-15 05:57:10)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Different55 wrote:

There's no rule against it

I don't see any reasons in here why there should be a rule against it.

I'm not suggesting we should have a rule against trigger warning misuse, although I might be okay that. Rather, I'm suggesting that the trigger warning BBCode should be renamed. If the point of the trigger warning BBCode is to hide offensive content, it's not doing its job well since it's misused half of the time. I think a rename would improve on that since the word "trigger" just invites users to use it as a joke whenever they want to be edgy.

To clarify, this is what I posted over half a year ago with no response:

N1KF wrote:

You have yet to give us a reason why the BBCode should be named "trigger warning" over "content warning" or anything else.

Also, I just noticed the mouseover text for the trigger tag. So, the forum is making fun of both trigger warnings and safe spaces at the same time? I know nobody's getting upset over this, but you're really living on the edge Different.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#50 2017-11-15 06:04:09

Different55
Forum Admin

N1KF wrote:

You have yet to give us a reason why the BBCode should be named "trigger warning" over "content warning" or anything else.

Because there isn't one. I don't particularly find your reasons to be compelling enough to change it, either. Whatever the tag is named, it's still functionally a trigger warning and people would use it the same way they do now. Slapping a new name on it with less baggage will only result in jokes about people being triggered by the trigger tag, it won't solve anything.

- ShinsukeIto

LukeM1513369257686443

Board footer