Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-18 04:13:42

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Hey can we stop misusing trigger warnings?

I've seen several posts where trigger warnings are used as substitutes for spoilers. This is a disservice to people with PTSD who have actual triggers, which we need to be sensitive about. Thank you.

#2 2017-04-18 04:26:09

Different55
Forum Admin

Re: Hey can we stop misusing trigger warnings?

No no it's not.

the name is a joke, they're not for PTSD, real or imagined.

"Sometimes failing a leap of faith is better than inching forward"
- ShinsukeIto

#3 2017-04-18 05:19:41

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Different55 wrote:

No no it's not.

the name is a joke, they're not for PTSD, real or imagined.

Okay.

Hey can you stop misusing trigger warnings?

#4 2017-04-18 17:25:54

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

CONTENT WARNING: Spoiler alert

CW: Also a spoiler.Rue dies.

Diff pls, ⟦tw⟧ is useless if it's not inline.

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

Wooted by:

#5 2017-04-18 19:39:33, last edited by N1KF (2017-04-18 19:39:45)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Tomahawk wrote:

*triggered OP*

I'm mildly offended, but not triggered. I don't have any triggers.

#6 2017-04-18 23:18:48

Slabdrill
Formerly 12345678908642
Website

i see a use for triggerspoilers; if there's a lot of nested spoilers, triggers might be better than spoilers because then people don't have to open each one individually (but they can disable triggering if they dont want to see all of it at once)

suddenly random sig change

#7 2017-04-18 23:21:32

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Slabdrill wrote:

i see a use for triggerspoilers; if there's a lot of nested spoilers, triggers might be better than spoilers because then people don't have to open each one individually (but they can disable triggering if they dont want to see all of it at once)

If the functionality is that important then "trigger warnings" can be replaced with something else.

#8 2017-04-19 01:21:47

Raphe9000

CONTENT WARNING
CONTENT WARNING: Look an 'appropriate' trigger warning because wea-TRIGGER WARNING-ons are mentioned

A square is to a rectangle as PTSD triggering is to the word trigger. Please.

N1KF wrote:

If the functionality is that important then "trigger warnings" can be replaced with something else.

Because there's nothing wrong with them except the fact you don't like them.

CONTENT WARNING

Wooted by:

#9 2017-04-19 01:32:19, last edited by N1KF (2017-04-19 01:34:42)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Raphe9000 wrote:

A square is to a rectangle as PTSD triggering is to the word trigger. Please.

If we're going to nitpick, the definition of "trigger warning" is "A notice placed before the beginning of an article, e-mail or post to warn the reader of potential traumatic triggers contained inside." Aside from jokes, I've never seen a trigger warning used for anything else.

Different55 misuses words like "triggered" and "retarded" as jokes. Normally I wouldn't care enough to make a topic about it, but the fact that he named a forum feature around this is concerning.

#10 2017-04-19 01:40:41

Raphe9000

No one is misusing those words. They are just using a different definition of a word. Please.

#11 2017-04-19 01:40:52

Evilbunny

N1KF wrote:

the fact that he named a forum feature around this is concerning

your inability to ignore a harmless joke is concerning

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#12 2017-04-19 01:49:39

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Evilbunny wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Triggers are a serious thing people deal with. It goes beyond a harmless joke when an entire forum feature is built around trivializing that.

Wooted by: (2)

#13 2017-04-19 01:51:24

dcomet

N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:
N1KF wrote:

Triggers are a serious thing people deal with. It goes beyond a harmless joke when an entire forum feature is built around trivializing that.

what should we call them then

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

Wooted by:

#14 2017-04-19 01:53:59

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

DarkComet wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:
N1KF wrote:

[inappropriate], for inappropriate content. It's a bit long though. Does anybody have any suggestions for shorter tags?

Wooted by:

#15 2017-04-19 02:18:09

dcomet

N1KF wrote:
DarkComet wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:
N1KF wrote:

[inappropriate], for inappropriate content. It's a bit long though. Does anybody have any suggestions for shorter tags?

hey diff u listening

[warning]

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#16 2017-04-19 02:26:31

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

DarkComet wrote:

hey diff u listening

[warning]

If you type this:

[warning=NUDITY, INAPPROPRIATE FOR USERS BELOW 18][img]http://cookingandstories.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/banana.jpg[/img][/warning]

it shows up like this:

Content warning: NUDITY, INAPPROPRIATE FOR USERS BELOW 18

#17 2017-04-19 02:31:49

Raphe9000

Stop thinking the world revolves around you and everyone with PTSD. We've established your definition is just one of MANY for the word trigger. COME ON.

N1KF wrote:

But it doesn't need to be inappropriate to be trigger worthy.

CONTENT WARNING

#18 2017-04-19 02:57:59

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Raphe9000 wrote:

We've established your definition is just one of MANY for the word trigger. COME ON.

That's not relevant. The main subject is about trigger warnings, not triggers themselves. If you want to debate the meaning of a trigger warning, I'm willing to discuss that.

N1KF wrote:

There aren't many times when people on this forum say something that would likely cause a trigger. It can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

However, I'd like to add that I think DarkComet's [warning] suggestion is better than [inappropriate], as it could apply to all cases—inappropriate content, common triggers, and controversial comments.

You're acting like an SJW, the reason for the modern definition. In which case, what makes you any better than them?

If trying to convince Different to stop abusing the term "trigger warning" makes me a social justice warrior, then so be it.

#19 2017-04-19 03:28:27

Raphe9000

N1KF wrote:
Raphe9000 wrote:

We've established your definition is just one of MANY for the word trigger. COME ON.

That's not relevant. The main subject is about trigger warnings, not triggers themselves. If you want to debate the meaning of a trigger warning, I'm willing to discuss that.

And a trigger warning is a group of words. Connotation is not denotation.

N1KF wrote:

There aren't many times when people on this forum say something that would likely cause a trigger. It can be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

However, I'd like to add that I think DarkComet's [warning] suggestion is better than [inappropriate], as it could apply to all cases—inappropriate content, common triggers, and controversial comments.

But:
Trigger warning is fine
It would not be needed outside of the COMMON USE
You just admitted that there's barely ever any real triggers, so why bother?

You're acting like an SJW, the reason for the modern definition. In which case, what makes you any better than them?

If trying to convince Different to stop abusing the term "trigger warning" makes me a social justice warrior, then so be it.

CONTENT WARNING

I'm saying you're lowering yourself down to the enemy.

#20 2017-04-19 03:30:51

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

CONTENT WARNINGno

Wooted by:

#21 2017-04-19 03:35:21

Evilbunny

N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:
N1KF wrote:

I don't see any harm in it. Us using the word "trigger" incorrectly isn't going to ruin anything. I wouldn't even say it is being used incorrectly because "triggered" is basically a meme that is used when something makes you angry.

If anybody is offended by the trigger tag then they should just learn to deal with it. It'll be a growing experience for them; they are not going to like everything they see, and that it ok.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

#22 2017-04-19 03:47:53, last edited by N1KF (2017-04-19 06:20:44)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Raphe9000 wrote:
N1KF wrote:

The main subject is about trigger warnings, not triggers themselves. If you want to debate the meaning of a trigger warning, I'm willing to discuss that.

And a trigger warning is a group of words.

The only types of trigger warnings I've seen or heard of are either genuine warnings for serious triggers or comical trigger warnings. If there are other types of trigger warnings, I must not know about them.

Connotation is not denotation.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

But:
Trigger warning is fine
It would not be needed outside of the COMMON USE
You just admitted that there's barely ever any real triggers, so why bother?

Just because gay people are uncommon doesn't mean we should go around jokingly using it as a negative adjective. Or "autistic", "retarded", etc. Similarly, just because triggering content is uncommon doesn't mean we should go around jokingly using it for whatever we want.

IT'S NOT ABUSING BECAUSE YOU CAN'T GET IT THROUGH YOUR MIND THAT WORDS AND PHRASES HAVE MORE THAN JUST THE DEFINITION YOU LIKE!

The problem here is that these two definitions create a conflict. People will laugh at genuine triggers because the other definition is casually used so much.

I'm saying you're lowering yourself down to the enemy.

What enemy? I don't think there are any enemies in this scenario. It's just a conflict about whether or not the usage of a trigger warning is insensitive. Different intends to create a useful feature to make this forum more accessible, you intend to defend him, and I intend to convince Different to be more sensitive to people with triggers. Nobody means harm here.

Evilbunny wrote:

I wouldn't even say it is being used incorrectly because "triggered" is basically a meme that is used when something makes you angry.

If it's a meme, how about we not name BBCode tags after memes? By your logic, could we have a Nyan Cat tag that makes your text rainbow! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

#23 2017-04-19 16:47:06

skullz17

N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:

I wouldn't even say it is being used incorrectly because "triggered" is basically a meme that is used when something makes you angry.

If it's a meme, how about we not name BBCode tags after memes? By your logic, could we have a Nyan Cat tag that makes your text rainbow! //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Ok this doesn't make any sense. Trigger tags have an actual functionality, regardless of what they're called. Diff is not gonna add a rainbow text tag, whether it's called [rainbow] or [nyan].

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

#24 2017-04-19 16:52:19

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

skullz17 wrote:
N1KF wrote:
Evilbunny wrote:

Ok this doesn't make any sense. Trigger tags have an actual functionality, regardless of what they're called. Diff is not gonna add a rainbow text tag, whether it's called [rainbow] or [nyan].

My point was that we shouldn't have tags based off ironic memes.

#25 2017-04-19 16:54:17

LukeM
Website

Ignoring the actual name, the tags are still abused
People seem to use them instead of spoilers, which defeats the point of having them (optional censoring of parts of the post)

Trigger warnings should be used for things that need censoring, and spoilers for things like large posts that take up too much space

Wooted by:
LukeM1513369257686443

Board footer