Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-26 07:12:57

Murph
Banned

Would animated blocks, moving blocks/hazards, etc. encourage (...)

Would animated blocks, moving blocks/hazards, etc. encourage a more wide variety of levels/worlds? (Sorry, but he couldn't fit this in the subject bar!)
---

Think about it, if blocks were animated, you could make little decorations (to name one right off the top of my head, perhaps a traffic light?) within your world, and the minimal would change colour however the block was made.

Also, look at other platforming games (again, to name one right off the top of my head, the Mario series) that having moving blocks and/or platforms. They can make the levels much more unique and challenging (in different ways, of course).

Any other blocks, hazards, or new concepts you can think of?
Also, what do you think of my idea.

Thanks,
Murph. //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/cool

Wooted by: (2)

#2 2017-03-26 07:34:13

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

Re: Would animated blocks, moving blocks/hazards, etc. encourage (...)

bots can do it

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by:

#3 2017-03-26 07:36:37

Murph
Banned

MrJaWapa wrote:

bots can do it

I'm not talking about bots. I'm talking about essentially platforms on tracks and whatnot.
Plus, most people that play EE are kids, and they don't all know how to program.

#4 2017-03-26 09:07:57, last edited by LukeM (2017-03-26 09:20:58)

LukeM
Website

I'm guessing that this sort of thing would be very hard to add to the game, so probably will never happen
You can use global switches though to get fairly close, you would just need an afk guest or something though

#5 2017-03-26 10:20:40, last edited by Minisaurus (2017-03-26 12:22:36)

Minisaurus
Banned

Of course, moving hazard and blocks would make EE much more diversity and creative.

I don´t know why moderators don´t add movement to EE.

Bots can do that, it can be added to the game.

for example:
Add another bar to the level brick: ¨movement¨ to add a complex system to make items change their position coordinates to other position in the world or making the item appear and disappear, that in coordination with a predetermined time of movement, personal movement for every player.
(personal I mean about in client side? dunno if that is the correct term for what I mean)
That idea can be improved with more stuff to make it more friendly for players, adding options for the ¨movement¨.

#6 2017-03-26 11:52:50

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Bots can not implement perfect moving platforms, right now the way it works is that they quickly place blocks and remove them and it creates a movement effect. The thing we need is platforms that actually do move smoothly, as well as timed hazards like spikes or lasers that appear and disappear
In Unity this kind of functionality shouldn't be hard to implement

i8SwC8p.png
signature by HG, profile picture by bluecloud, thank!!
previous signature by drstereos

Wooted by:

#7 2017-03-26 11:58:21, last edited by LukeM (2017-03-26 11:58:37)

LukeM
Website

It would definately be hard to impliment, because it would require adding some sort of extra entities to the game, and adding physics to them... Currently the physics is fairly simple, as basically everything you can collide with is static, or toggles on / off, this however, would mean an almost complete rewrite of the physics to allow for being pushed, moving blocks, etc

Wooted by:

#8 2017-03-26 14:55:46

Xfrogman43

Pretty sure they said a long time ago they weren't going to touch the physics

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#9 2017-03-26 17:01:09

hummerz5

sorta moved your sorta idea to the game suggestions

thanks

#10 2017-03-26 19:29:32

Murph
Banned

hummerz5 wrote:

sorta moved your sorta idea to the game suggestions

thanks

I figured it'd get moved - Just wanted it to be viewed more.

#11 2017-03-27 02:09:19

Murph
Banned

destroyer123 wrote:

It would definately be hard to impliment, because it would require adding some sort of extra entities to the game, and adding physics to them... Currently the physics is fairly simple, as basically everything you can collide with is static, or toggles on / off, this however, would mean an almost complete rewrite of the physics to allow for being pushed, moving blocks, etc

I'm sure UnitEE could handle that. ;-)

#12 2017-03-27 05:59:47

Gosha

Murph wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

It's not about Engine
It's about a lot of coding

Wooted by:

#13 2017-03-27 18:01:09

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

I agree with animated blocks (but only after the lag is fixed in EE). But moving blocks? Nah, that would be far too messy and wouldn't really fit EE in my opinion. But then again many people would have said that about things such as doors and gates in the first place but still, I just don't like the idea of blocks you can move freely in EE.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

Wooted by:

#14 2017-03-27 18:47:58

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Gosha wrote:
Murph wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

It's not about Engine
It's about a lot of coding

there is not a lot of coding in making a box collider move left and right in a constant loop. seriously.
if the EE physics are implemented in Unity the way i think they are then it should be easy to code something like a moving platform or pushable blocks

i8SwC8p.png

Wooted by:

#15 2017-03-27 19:33:24

Gosha

maxi123 wrote:

there is not a lot of coding in making a box collider move left and right in a constant loop.

you know how ee staff loves coding, aren't you? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

Wooted by:

#16 2017-03-27 21:27:24

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

Gosha wrote:
maxi123 wrote:

there is not a lot of coding in making a box collider move left and right in a constant loop.

you know how ee staff loves coding, aren't you? //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

don't you*
yeah i do

i8SwC8p.png

#17 2017-03-27 22:49:24, last edited by Gosha (2017-03-27 22:51:27)

Gosha

Well. I think it is not very very hard to do this

i made a client for moving spike. My code is very weak and sick because i just wanted to show that this is possible

preview

download:
.SWF

WORLDID: PWUsQZqRyJcEI

#18 2017-03-27 23:28:40

LukeM
Website

Gosha wrote:

Well. I think it is not very very hard to do this

i made a client for moving spike. My code is very weak and sick because i just wanted to show that this is possible

WORLDID: PWUsQZqRyJcEI

It would definately be possible, just very difficult / laggy / time consuming / generally annoying to use anyway

Spikes are one of the easiest things to do it with, but when you get to blocks that would actually need to push you out of the way it gets difficult.
This would also create more problems, like what happens if you are squished into a wall by the platforms etc.

Next there is the lag problem, all these extra physics calculations and graphics redrawing would probably massively decrease the performance of the game, which would basically make it impossible for anyone to play without a good computer

Also, im not sure how exactly you did that, but it seems like you might have hardcoded it into the game, which would be much MUCH easier than actually adding it to the game, especially if you expect it to work with every block

maxi123 wrote:
Gosha wrote

there is not a lot of coding in making a box collider move left and right in a constant loop. seriously.
if the EE physics are implemented in Unity the way i think they are then it should be easy to code something like a moving platform or pushable blocks

Its a lot harder than you would think, especially as im guessing that to keep the physics as they are (as I think is the plan), you would have to write it all yourself anyway
Secondly, you somehow have to fit the moving blocks into the main game loop, you cant just have a loop and a sleep or whatever, otherwise the rest of the game would freeze. There would need to be a fairly complicated physics engine, as well as adding the actual code that moves the blocks around / redraws them on the screen (which is currently nothing like how the game works already, so you would have to rewrite most of it anyway)

Wooted by: (3)

#19 2017-03-27 23:32:10, last edited by Murph (2017-03-27 23:32:17)

Murph
Banned

If it were harder than you'd think, how did Gosha whip together a basic example? https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL

#20 2017-03-27 23:34:51, last edited by LukeM (2017-03-27 23:37:46)

LukeM
Website

Murph wrote:

If it were harder than you'd think, how did Gosha whip together a basic example? https://wiki.everybodyedits.com/images/c/c0/069_LOL

Im guessing he just hard coded it into the game (just for that one block in that specific world)
The problems lie in how you would get the physics to work, as well as the collision detection (which doesnt seem to be working properly in the example anyway)

Edit: Also there is the problem that you will have to be able to edit it in game, which would mean a whole new GUI, as well as a load of changes to what you can actually store as block data (as this doesnt fit into the way that blocks save currently)

#21 2017-03-28 00:45:20

Murph
Banned

Or perhaps have it similar to Mario Maker's GUIs, and have these blocks (or if it'd take up too much space, make a 2x1 platform simply for the track) and/or hazards on tracks?

#22 2017-03-28 00:46:21

TaskManager
Formerly maxi123

destroyer123 wrote:

Its a lot harder than you would think, especially as im guessing that to keep the physics as they are (as I think is the plan), you would have to write it all yourself anyway
Secondly, you somehow have to fit the moving blocks into the main game loop, you cant just have a loop and a sleep or whatever, otherwise the rest of the game would freeze. There would need to be a fairly complicated physics engine, as well as adding the actual code that moves the blocks around / redraws them on the screen (which is currently nothing like how the game works already, so you would have to rewrite most of it anyway)

right now you look just like the spanish inqusition, afraid of making unusual changes to the game. the physics engine will NOT collapse just because moving platforms will be added.
as i said before, if EE physics will be done the right way in Unity it will be really easy to implement moving colliders. you actually can have a simple loop to move them around, why would that make the game freeze? the loop would be executed on a separate script which is specific for that platform.
"There would need to be a fairly complicated physics engine"
>are you implying that Unity 2D physics engine is not suitable and a new one will have to be written from scratch just to make moving colliders? because thats nonsense
"as well as adding the actual code that moves the blocks around / redraws them on the screen"
you dont say? obviously some bits of code will have to be written, but those bits of code are really simple and small in comparison to most of other things

on top of that, now that this Goshadude proven it to be possible with the crappy retarded Flash player, it should be much much easier and doable in UnitEE

i8SwC8p.png

Wooted by: (2)

#23 2017-03-28 02:15:56

Murph
Banned

I think it's safe to say these suggestions aren't even being reviewed anymore.
EE is pretty much dead.

#24 2017-03-28 02:37:27, last edited by N1KF (2017-03-28 02:37:43)

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Murph wrote:

EE is pretty much dead.

The Staff have said before that they check every suggestion. Of course, this was a while ago, so it may no longer be accurate. We'll just have to wait and see.

#25 2017-03-28 02:50:26

Murph
Banned

N1KF wrote:
Murph wrote:

EE is pretty much dead.

The Staff have said before that they check every suggestion. Of course, this was a while ago, so it may no longer be accurate. We'll just have to wait and see.

I know they said that, but everyone always tells me I'm wrong, so I guess I'll agree with them for once.

LukeM1490739835652488

Board footer