Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-14 19:32:22

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Should it be acceptable for white people to say the black racial slur?

I've heard some differing opinions on the matter. One opinion I've come across is that the answer is 'yes', since the word is constantly used in 'black culture'. After all, if they can say the word, why not white people?

I disagree with that view. The word is associated with racism, as I'd be willing to guess that most white people who use that word mean it in a racist context. You may intend good, but what words don't work that way. Some words are seen as more offensive than others (and these words are getting replaced, hence why people are moving onto more and more offensive swear words...), and using them with good intentions usually doesn't make them seem less offensive. In the view of most people, a white person saying the word looks racist. If you look racist, then you'll have the same impact on society as an actual racist.

Also, I've heard the pedantic argument that it depends on how the word is spelled. If it ends with 'a' it's okay, but not if it ends with 'er'. I don't buy that argument. They're just different pronunciations, and they're obviously supposed to be the same word. If anything, that argument seems racist in itself because it implies that black people all have derhotacization.

If a white person is in a context where 'the word' is considered acceptable, then sure, white people can use it. Unlike most swear words and some other racial slurs, it doesnt have an inherently offensive meaning (coming from a word in another language just meaning 'black'), though it does have an offensive history and context that simply can't be brushed aside unless you're in a rare context where racism isnt an issue.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#2 2017-03-14 19:36:16

Pingohits
Banned

Re: Should it be acceptable for white people to say the black racial slur?

anyone can say it, but they must take whatever consequence that comes with

791mAP8.png

Wooted by: (2)

#3 2017-03-14 20:51:44

shadowda

i do cringe sometimes when people say n**** especially white people, but there is no real reason it should be an acceptable or non acceptable thing to say nowadays.

sure it use to be raciest but now it doesn't really have the same meaning.
Id rather people say n**** in a non racist way then in a racist way and it would be better to have the word no longer be a racial slur at all. if its not a racial slur than racists cat use it and ultimately they will run out of ways to express their outdated feelings.

Why would you need or want to say it? it still has some negative stigma and its not necessary to say.
People going around saying my n**** as regular part of speech is strange and i don't understand "black culture" but ultimately the only reason its a racial slur anymore is because people want it to be that way. to some the world is negative and to some its not and eventually it will settle. 

TL;DR
Yes it should be allowed if only so that it will lose its old meaning.

color = #1E1E1E       

latest?cb=20150604065609

Wooted by:

#4 2017-03-15 17:15:31, last edited by mutantdevle (2017-03-15 17:16:42)

mutantdevle
Moderation Team
Website

One of my friends says it is never racist if you pronounce it with a hard A at the end, as that is apparently how black people pronounce it, which gives it a different meaning.

Personally, I think the word is always okay if the person you are talking to is fine with it and you are not using it to describe a third party. However, in public situations where, others are likely to over hear you, I don't think this is okay. This is called public decency.

So basically, if you are using it without malicious intent whilst surrounded by ONLY people who do not take offence to it, then it is okay.

kMMA0S6.png dxGW6FY.png

#5 2017-03-15 17:33:00

XxAtillaxX

I don't think there's anything wrong with expressing your opinion, using whatever choice of words including CONTENT WARNING****.

CONTENT WARNING

signature.png
*u stinky*

#6 2017-03-15 18:08:25

Emma333

I think using it in a positive way would be a good thing, because it normalises the word. If people keep using it no matter what way, negative or positive, people will care less and it will become a normal word again. Of course I understand why black people find it an offensive word for white people to use, that's why I don't use it anyways. But I might be doing something wrong here just because I don't to feel guilt. The negative stigma will never just go away if people keep being afraid to use it. But maybe it's better if it keeps the negative stigma because of the history? I don't know.

Pm me with anything math related please

#7 2017-03-19 13:15:20

Minimania
Moderation Team

I'm looking at all of this bull about using racial slurs in a positive manner and I'm just shaking my head

Is it okay for anybody to use racial slurs at all?

Not appropriate

21cZxBv.png
Click the image to see my graphics suggestions, or here to play EE: Project M!

#8 2017-03-19 15:33:19

mrjawapa
Corn Man 🌽
Website

minimania wrote:

Is it okay for anybody to use racial slurs at all?
Not appropriate

"wad up mah ****?" v.s. "Hey you **** ****! Get yo **** back to picking cotton!"

There's a difference.

Discord: jawp#5123

Wooted by:

#9 2017-03-20 02:57:07, last edited by azurepudding (2017-03-20 03:45:44)

azurepudding

no one should use it cuz we need to stop this divide between people of things being okay for one group but not for the other.  Doesn't matter who says it, still the same word.  it's used casually to take away its original meaning but I don't think that will ever happen.. 

What's up my dude, my bud, my best friendo, my good man, howdy partn'r, my buckaroo, my chum buddio pal, my man with the big plan, my sister from anotha mister, my big lil o bro, howdy doo neighborEEno, my fav fae bae of the dae, etc. be creative have fun //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

Azure2.png

azurepudding1489975027651664

Board footer