Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-11 17:04:10

kubapolish
Banned
Website

[suggestion] option to skip downloading world data

idk if i should put it in bots and programming or game suggestions but anyways:

there would be an option to skip downloading world data; so for connecting, for send init there would be additional parameter "skipworlddata" as bool, when not specified it would be default for false, so only server would need to be updated (and old bots won't break) and if true, the bot would still receive init and every data, except world data (only index 0-37, without ws/we)

also for /loadlevel, bot could send additional parameter (/loadlevel noreceive) to still load level and reset other players, except that bot won't receive reset

#2 2017-03-11 17:07:58

LukeM
Website

Re: [suggestion] option to skip downloading world data

What would this be used for?
Most bots ive used / made require the init message, and even if they dont, the time taken to recieve it doesnt cause any problems (just a second or two of loading)

Wooted by: (3)

#3 2017-03-12 13:03:10

den3107

As destroyer said, the size of the world data is pretty slim. Things that really slow down bots (and the client) is the actual processing of the world data.

If you want suppress world data because you want to join worlds faster (for example, a chat/stalker/indexing bot), then just don't process the data.

#4 2017-03-20 11:53:19

kubapolish
Banned
Website

destroyer123 wrote:

Most bots ive used / made require the init message, and even if they dont, the time taken to recieve it doesnt cause any problems (just a second or two of loading)

den3107 wrote:

As destroyer said, the size of the world data is pretty slim. Things that really slow down bots (and the client) is the actual processing of the world data.

If you want suppress world data because you want to join worlds faster (for example, a chat/stalker/indexing bot), then just don't process the data.

i couldn't respond before because i was banned (thanks hummerz) and after i finally got unbanned i forgot about my topic, so..
it's because of this "bug", it takes ~10 seconds for bot to connect and sometimes it won't even connect, so with this suggestion at least the bot won't be lagging at connecting and /loadlevel..

#5 2017-03-20 12:08:52

drunkbnu
Formerly HG

kubapolish wrote:
destroyer123 wrote:

den3107 wrote:

i couldn't respond before because i was banned (thanks hummerz) and after i finally got unbanned i forgot about my topic, so..
it's because of this "bug", it takes ~10 seconds for bot to connect and sometimes it won't even connect, so with this suggestion at least the bot won't be lagging at connecting and /loadlevel..

That's a different problem, and it's because when you do /loadlevel on the client, the client queues all the other messages received meanwhile, until you receive "reset" with the world data. The overload of messages makes you disconnect.

#6 2017-03-20 17:10:43

den3107

HG wrote:

That's a different problem, and it's because when you do /loadlevel on the client, the client queues all the other messages received meanwhile, until you receive "reset" with the world data. The overload of messages makes you disconnect.

Made a reply on that post about my findings on that bug...

Still, I doubt the world data would be a problem, but something else server sided.
And I got explanation why I think that:

Here you can find a post where they say each Player.IO game gets ~1ghz of CPU power (Yes, that's the Benjaminsen that made EE).
So... I had to make a program that would (de)compress text files using a certain algorithm (Huffman). Obviously that implementation is far from top-efficient, but more importantly: It probably has a whole lot more to do than the EE server when loading your room.

So I compressed and decompressed a text file of ~4.5 MB (way bigger than the world data) and gave it a single core to work with (3.50 ghz CPU, so one core is less than the 1ghz every world has, not even accounting other tasks that may be running on the core).
So... Were the results higher than a couple seconds? Not really.
Compressing averaged out around 600-700 ms and decompressing around 1000-800 ms.

Obviously these are only speculations, since I don't know the exact server implementation, but I expect that there's something else wrong with your world that's troubling the server with preparing the init message.

den31071490026243651694

Board footer