Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-24 02:16:53

Onjit
Website

Daily Challenges

Like 8 months ago this idea came up, so I'm just going to bring it up again because I think it's a good idea.
(It's from the EElection thing so I just copied the whole post)

nlmdejonge wrote:

Hey folks, as founder of the indEEpendent party "Daily Challenges" I will outline below a principal objective and further reasoning that together make up our party's manifesto; its platform for the 2016 EElections.

Principal Objective
==================
EE currently uses Flash. Flash is dying. EE needs to move to a modern cross-platform game engine. An engine that allows for both playing on the web and stand-alone (desktop, mobile). As most of you know, the game is already being ported to - or rather, rebuild with - the game engine Unity. This will also take care of lag and it will make it easier to open the game up to new markets, such as Steam, and thus to get more players. Getting the game to use Unity is the principal objective. Almost everything else is less important. The staff/developers need to choose how they spend their time (= money) and energy. Whenever they can, they should ignore the current Flash version of the game. This is possible if things are 'good enough'. Only if things are not 'good enough' should they temporarily set aside the aforementioned principal objective.

Are Things 'Good Enough'?
==================
This is subjective, but generally speaking: yes, they are. This is why our party will answer almost all questions or suggestions related to future updates or changes with: "It's currently good enough, don't touch it." There's one exception though, which I'll write about in the next section ("Daily Challenges"). The shop is currently good enough, don't touch it. The physics are currently good enough, don't touch it. The current tools to mitigate trolling are good enough, don't though them. And so on, you get the picture.

Daily Challenges
==================
There's just one thing that is currently not 'good enough'. EE thrives if good levels are in the lobby. If there are no good levels, players leave and visit less. Not just that. Level creators also leave and create less if good levels they put a lot of work into barely get played. In other words: a) players need to see good levels, and b) creators of good levels need to see their worlds being played. Currently, when it comes to both a) and b), the situation is not 'good enough'. The Rooms board of this forum allows creators to announce levels, but only players who read that board see announcements. The Featured tab in-game only lists levels with at least one player in them, and it shows the same worlds over and over.

Our "Daily Challenges" party proposes the introduction of daily challenges. Every day a different level gets featured for an entire day. The featured level gets a top spot, even if no players are in it: it's above all tabs (or at the top of almost all tabs), with a clearly distinct background color. The staff/developers do not pick these levels, the community does. The staff/developers need to pick two or three player-volunteers who will listen to and discuss with other players which level will be picked for the next day. All the staff/developers need to deliver is the code that introduces these daily challenges and keeps track of how many such challenges each player has finished. If this gets implemented, everything really is 'good enough' and the staff/developers can basically work on getting the game to use Unity full-time. And for however long they want.

What we want is players to return daily. Return, return, return, every day. We want authors of good levels to see that their levels get the attention they deserve. One full day, a top spot. Even if using energy was ever a good incentive for players to return daily, for many players it no longer is. The featured level will have an icon; when clicked it will explain to players how/where they can submit their levels as candidates to be featured. Every day, the player-volunteers will open a new forum thread to discuss and pick with other players the level for the next day. This is also the place where players will submit their levels as candidates.

Closing Remarks
==================
Almost all of the "Issues" (questions) and "list of opinions" mentioned by Bobithan in the first post of this thread are details that will sort themselves out over time. I don't see any real problems there. Either these things are already good enough, which means they should not be touched, or solutions are already in the works. As a candidate for Not-Presidency I'm more interested in and concerned about the bigger picture.

Daily Challenges!

:.|:;

#2 2017-02-24 02:25:10

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Re: Daily Challenges

Considering there are lots of requirements to get into campaigns, this might help some less popular creators get some attention.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#3 2017-02-24 23:47:15

dcomet

Level Choosing should depend on likes and favorites. (like +1 for likes and +3 for favorites)
Every challenge would give something like +50 energy?

1xxoWGb.png
X6pVnTA.png
@MAMETCHl on twitter for the pfp artist, @snuffyowo on twitter for the character drawn in the pfp.

#4 2017-02-24 23:53:06

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

DarkComet wrote:

Level Choosing should depend on likes and favorites. (like +1 for likes and +3 for favorites)

That may cause low-quality worlds to get chosen. While they should be a factor, they shouldn't be the only one. I don't want to see Spanish hotel levels keep getting the spot.

Everybody Edits is Fred

Wooted by: (3)

#5 2017-02-26 11:23:21

Onjit
Website

N1KF wrote:
DarkComet wrote:

That may cause low-quality worlds to get chosen. While they should be a factor, they shouldn't be the only one. I don't want to see Spanish hotel levels keep getting the spot.

The OP addresses this:

nlmdejonge wrote:

The staff/developers do not pick these levels, the community does. The staff/developers need to pick two or three player-volunteers who will listen to and discuss with other players which level will be picked for the next day.

But yeah, I really think that this would drastically improve the longevity of EE by giving both players and builders a reason to keep playing.

#6 2017-02-27 21:43:48

Evilbunny

I think everyday might be too fast and doesn't really give enough highlight time to a level so maybe something like every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday a little set of levels is featured. Even then we'd go through a lot of levels really quickly.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

Wooted by: (2)

#7 2017-02-28 02:54:24

Onjit
Website

I think you'd be surprised how many good worlds there are out there. If you take a look at the Rooms section, you'll ser that there are seveeal hundered good worlds. Remember that not every world has to be an 11/10.

As for there not being enough time, I doubt that it will be a huge problem IMO. If there is a fast turnover, it will only encourage players to play the game even more. I can see your point about not giving enough visibility to individual worlds, however.

#8 2017-02-28 03:19:27

Evilbunny

I feel like if there was a featured section and it changed Every. Single. Day. people would just ignore it after awhile because the levels wouldn't really be special.

It would be like "oh the featured tab...right, I haven't been paying attention to that, oh well" instead of having time between worlds so people can be like "oh I wonder what the next featured level will be on Saturday" then Saturday comes and they've built up an expectation so they are more likely to try the level.

Evilbunny (in cursive)

Wooted by: (2)

#9 2017-02-28 03:27:41

N1KF
Wiki Mod
Website

Evilbunny wrote:

I feel like if there was a featured section and it changed Every. Single. Day. people would just ignore it after awhile because the levels wouldn't really be special.

It would be like "oh the featured tab...right, I haven't been paying attention to that, oh well" instead of having time between worlds so people can be like "oh I wonder what the next featured level will be on Saturday" then Saturday comes and they've built up an expectation so they are more likely to try the level.

Perhaps there could be several per week, up to as many that get decided. Creating a specific x worlds per y days formula would limit the options, either causing low-quality levels to be shoehorned in or good levels be pushed out. Even the most balanced of formulas would have that happen sometimes.

Everybody Edits is Fred

#10 2017-02-28 09:35:28, last edited by Luka504 (2017-02-28 09:36:33)

Luka504

While a reason for people to come back to EE often is a must, i think daily challenges will be too much since you can't produce a good world in a single day without experiencing creative burnout.
I think we should have weekly challenges. During every Friday Saturday and Sunday (When most players are active) a button will appear labeled ,,Weekly challenge,,.As soon as you open it you get 2 world bundles. One easier and one that's harder. That way we can appeal to the players that prefer easier worlds and ones that like harder ones, and builders won't be forced to make worlds they don't like themselves.
As soon as it's monday again, those worlds are gone, but CAN reappear in later weekly challenges for players who didn't beat it the first time and want to try again. The people who beat the world just get a free skip and move onto the next world in the bundle. (Off course this means that you cant put every world from a previous weekly challenge into a new one, just 1 or 2.)
This way you get about a week to build your worlds and submit them, which i think is reasonable.

How long will it take me to get banned again?
Place your bets right here.

#11 2017-02-28 10:29:20

Kaleb
Formerly Kaleb123

Evilbunny wrote:

I think every day might be too fast and doesn't really give enough highlight time to a level so maybe something like every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday a little set of levels is featured. Even then we'd go through a lot of levels really quickly.

Eh,
Maybe something that is weekly like a weekly challenge instead of having it daily or an odd amount of timer per week.

#12 2021-09-15 12:22:18

Onjit
Website

this thread is now closed

goodbye

Onjit1631618538791379

Board footer