Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-27 19:56:56, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2016-07-27 20:00:10)

SirJosh3917
Formerly ninjasupeatsninja

[Release] ProtocolLookup

Read from the protocol directly, and add reverse compatibility to your bot.

I decided to make this, but basically, it reads from the protocol and allows you to read messages from the protocol into an easy format.

Everything you need to know can be found on github in the readme

Nuget:

PM> Install-Package ProtocolLookup

https://www.nuget.org/packages/ProtocolLookup/1.0.0

Mediafire:

https://www.mediafire.com/?z18sbdes5rn8gbq

Funny enough, it was actually pretty easy to create...

** Note **
As of right now, it can only grab the "recieve" and "send" messages of the protocol. I will be working on some of the stuff mentioned here.

#2 2016-07-27 21:31:24

hummerz5

Re: [Release] ProtocolLookup

Can you throw out an example of this usage?
Also, for future reference, WebClient can download strings, saving you the bother of deleting the file.

Looks pretty cool. If I understand it, this could use some expanding to make streamlined (right?). But it certainly makes a pointed effort

#3 2016-07-28 02:32:32, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2016-07-28 02:38:54)

SirJosh3917

hummerz5 wrote:

Can you throw out an example of this usage?
Also, for future reference, WebClient can download strings, saving you the bother of deleting the file.

Looks pretty cool. If I understand it, this could use some expanding to make streamlined (right?). But it certainly makes a pointed effort

Did two examples, https://github.com/SirJosh3917/Protocol … r/Examples

Both tested.

One example is for the (un)famous bot breaking fix - the init world width and height message.
The other is to send an "m" message, to move the bot around without breaking it during any update, passing "null so to speak" (not null, but for example, an int set to 0, a boolean set to false, a double set to 0) to any parameter required

#4 2016-07-28 03:53:33

Calyfornia

So instead of using the protocol in your code, you've written a library that downloads it, searches for text to

add reverse compatibility

- But the text could change in the protocol.

I really don't see the hassle with just reading it, instead of adding a bunch of arguably redundant code...

I'd use it, just I don't _really_ see a point. At all. In the slightest...

EENeat | Teaches itself how to play EE (Made in partnership with Jesse)
Rider   | Cross-platform, alternative C# IDE by JetBrains.

#5 2016-07-28 13:07:04

den3107

Calyfornia wrote:

But the text could change in the protocol.

Thanel said in this post that the names can be considered official and probably won't change anytime soon.
Being honest I am going to make my own implementation of this, though the usage of it will be some different.
(don't worry ninja, I won't copy code if that's a concern to you)

Anyways. The point of such a lib is to, not necessarily make it reverse compatible, but most importantly make it robust. Keep it alive in the next update and the ones coming. Keep your public or private bot working after a couple months without having touched it (this might not actually work though).
Using things like this saves you the annoyance of fixing your message id's with every update.

#6 2016-07-28 14:20:26, last edited by SirJosh3917 (2016-07-28 14:21:59)

SirJosh3917

den3107 wrote:

(don't worry ninja, I won't copy code if that's a concern to you)

I don't mind //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/smile

den3107 wrote:

Anyways. The point of such a lib is to, not necessarily make it reverse compatible, but most importantly make it robust. Keep it alive in the next update and the ones coming. Keep your public or private bot working after a couple months without having touched it (this might not actually work though).
Using things like this saves you the annoyance of fixing your message id's with every update.

That's exactly the function //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/big_smile and even if the protocol happens the change, I want the dll to be "backwards compatible", so to speak, so if there was a bot made with the really early version of this DLL (the current version at the time of posting) and stuff really changed in the EE Protocol, you could download the latest DLL and replace the older one the bot had, so it keeps functioning just like it did before.

#7 2016-07-28 16:25:02, last edited by hummerz5 (2016-07-28 16:35:33)

hummerz5

ninjasupeatsninja wrote:

you could download the latest DLL and replace the older one the bot had, so it keeps functioning just like it did before.

edit: realized my entire post was "here's how I'd do things bro"

I'll still say this: I'd do some research into what changes you can make to a DLL and still have it work.

#8 2016-07-28 16:44:57

Koya
Fabulous Member

hummerz5 wrote:

Koya recently mentioned in the other topic setting up a master (repository?) with the schema, which would fit your "download the latest DLL" idea, except the user doesn't actually have to do that.

Master bot which outputs a JSON file to the web for bots to read - the master bot would keep track of message IDs and changes.
It would be faster and easier to use with this method as the syntax is unchanged.

Po9cnQh.png

PLNQVL8.png
Thank you eleizibeth ^

1SYOldu.png

I stack my signatures rather than delete them so I don't lose them
giphy.gif

WfSi4mm.png

#9 2016-07-28 22:23:31

den3107

Koya wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

Koya recently mentioned in the other topic setting up a master (repository?) with the schema, which would fit your "download the latest DLL" idea, except the user doesn't actually have to do that.

Master bot which outputs a JSON file to the web for bots to read - the master bot would keep track of message IDs and changes.
It would be faster and easier to use with this method as the syntax is unchanged.

Why JSON?
If you'd upload it to the web generally XML is most logical, some ways of getting "web pages" actually give you an XML object so you don't have to generate an object yourself.

#10 2016-07-28 23:36:48

Tomahawk
Forum Mod

Something like this would only be useful if the protocol is always updated as soon as an update is pushed. Is it?

One bot to rule them all, one bot to find them. One bot to bring them all... and with this cliché blind them.

#11 2016-07-29 00:21:18

hummerz5

Each time at runtime.
Ironically, the webclient downloads and analyzes the github stuff. A cache wouldn't be far fetched off that, but the file is deleted IIRC

#12 2016-07-29 13:02:27, last edited by Calyfornia (2016-07-29 13:12:41)

Calyfornia

Or, idea, you just keep your bot up to date //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/wink

It's far easier than writing a whole library to analyse the protocol, then if wording or sections change, try to guess what they were meaning. This would become more difficult with each change.

#13 2016-07-29 13:50:06

hummerz5

Calyfornia, that's a valid point. However, some of us tire easily from doing those tasks repeatedly. If yo have more than one, the time grows linearly. Plus, what are bots for, but to do what humans can do with ease and speed?

If the name changes, that's on the EE admin for swapping that information out; even then, having an intermediate source would allow a caretaker to fix all easily.

#14 2016-07-29 14:53:51

Calyfornia

hummerz5 wrote:

Calyfornia, that's a valid point. However, some of us tire easily from doing those tasks repeatedly. If yo have more than one, the time grows linearly. Plus, what are bots for, but to do what humans can do with ease and speed?

If the name changes, that's on the EE admin for swapping that information out; even then, having an intermediate source would allow a caretaker to fix all easily.

http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Laziness

#15 2016-07-29 18:47:22

den3107

Calyfornia wrote:
hummerz5 wrote:

http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Laziness

In this "line of work" Laziness generally means productivity which would mean less work for you and less money spent for the company. Obviously occasionally you think you make a tool which would satisfy your laziness but end up taking way too long to make it. But I think a tool like this could easily grow into something very robust. Only little machine learning is required to make it even more robust (and there are plenty of libraries out there that do almost everything for you).

Wooted by:

#16 2016-07-29 19:43:53

SirJosh3917

With this whole name changing thing and different stuff changing in the protocol, the user could just replace the dll, as my goal is to try have the dll be backwards compatible.

hummerz5 wrote:

I'd do some research into what changes you can make to a DLL and still have it work.

I'd follow c++, they keep all of their old usages, so you can make c++ program for 1990 while programming in c++13.

SirJosh39171469817833615002

Board footer