Official Everybody Edits Forums

Do you think I could just leave this part blank and it'd be okay? We're just going to replace the whole thing with a header image anyway, right?

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-07-29 23:33:18

Xfrogman43

Re: so what about language options

BuzzerBee wrote:

If that's the case, I'd like the game to be in 100% Arabic so I can learn it quicker.
(Not sarcasm, I would seriously like that.)

I don't want to learn Arabic...

zsbu6Xm.png thanks zoey aaaaaaaaaaaand thanks latif for the avatar

#27 2015-07-29 23:40:45

Creature

I'd like to use morse code language.

This is a false statement.

#28 2015-07-30 06:51:56, last edited by logothetis (2015-07-30 06:53:05)

logothetis
Website

.Everybody edits is very good exercise for english I'm much better at english now.But not so bad idea and I don't learn Arabic

everybody_edits_sword_fight_by_echokai-d5qr01m.gif
Credits To Echo

#29 2015-07-30 11:18:39

Kangxp

letting kids play ee while learning a new language at the same time
i'd love that, been wanting to learn japanese for quite a while already
on the other hand we can't still type japanese characters into chat or most non-english characters, this makes all the japanese emoticons i put messed up

also i need to keep revising my chinese

derp
go watch mlp
everyone will be proud of u
just search "mlp sweep"

#30 2015-07-30 12:47:42

Hexagon

Well, it depends on what the goal of EE is. If the goal is to teach people English, translating EE doesn't make sense. However, if the goal is to get more advertising revenue and to get more users, translating it will help because there are people who won't want to learn English.

Wooted by: (3)

#31 2015-07-30 14:05:25

skullz17

I think there are advantages and disadvantages on both sides. Some people may not want to learn English, and the fact that they don't understand the game might just drive them away, meaning language options would be good. On the other hand, our number of players has been okay for the time that we haven't had language options (which is since the beginning of EE), and it has been okay for other games as well. Also, it may split up the community.

Personally I think we're okay without it, but perhaps adding it would have some benefits. I don't think it would split up our current community too much, but if it gets bigger because of language options, then that bigger community might become split up.

m3gPDRb.png

thx for sig bobithan

Wooted by:

Nou

#32 2015-07-31 13:26:19

Nou

anch159 wrote:
Nou wrote:

As an ESL teacher I'm gonna say nope, the internet is an amazing learning environment.

How does an ESL teacher end up coding for a game?

Hobby. I do teach at a technical university at the electronics/mechatronics department, I suppose there's a few crossovers //forums.everybodyedits.com/img/smilies/tongue

No u.

#33 2015-08-02 00:22:51

Hexagon

How about this: load into English mode, but offer options on the home screen to change the language. That way, the users who want to interact and learn English can use that, while the others can choose a different language. For example, if I go to an ATM in China, I don't want to learn Chinese. I want to make a withdrawal, and I want to know what buttons I'm pressing.

Yes, there will be some people who won't learn English because they'll choose another language option. I don't think the point of EE is to help people learn English--it's to play EE, otherwise it'd be called (Educating English.) If I went to school in a foreign country (let's call EE a school), I probably would find the most culturally similar person to talk to first to get comfortable, then broaden my surroundings. Everybody Edits could work the same way, and it could encourage users who only know English to learn another language.

There's thousands and thousands of resources and games that are English only and there are resources for users to learn new languages like English. By giving the user an option to learn English (which is beneficial in many respects) or to choose not to, allows them to make a decision, and possibly keep them as a user, generating more revenue and increasing the user base.

Wooted by: (5)
Hexagon1438471371526242

Board footer